Trying to understand

MajorCyco

"How would you know that? There are plenty of mod authors that remain here, and many who will still be willing to post here. Who says they are not capable of that? Who says some mod authors may not work together to do it?

With that said, I do agree. Bigger mods are not likely to be affected by what I am talking about. And even more so for mods that are fairly original and contain a lot of custom assets."

Because the way all this was implemented was in a SNEAKY, DISHONORABLE and SHADY manner, most of those authors you mention are not even aware of what's happening, and when they get to know about all this it would be to late for them to do anything about it...

I would expect that a fair number of authors that were contacted, abandoned those email addresses long ago. I would be interesting to see how many bounced messages Nexus got when they sent the notification. :)

I would expect that of the 70,000 and some mod authors here, less than 30% of them are still active. That's still a LOT of folks uploading though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

214 mods gone from my list of downloads, and that's not counting the old (and I mean OLD) mods that were deleted before all this started back in 2019. The numbers must be interesting.

Â

@LeelooMinai - you still pay attention to that person? I blocked long ago.

I have her blocked too, but when I see the quoted posts I am likeâ¦oh come on. I donât answer her personally nor do I quote her. For the sake of others.

Cut the crap. THE LAW IS THE LAW. PERIOD.

That copyright owners can license and defend their work as they see fit does not change the law.

There is no crap, that is how copyright works. It's why people who break copyright don't instantly go to jail nor are they fined. Instead it entirely depends on the copyright holder on whether or not they want to pursue it. For example, technically even making mods is against copyright and the only reason you can do it is because the company explicitly allows it, or they see the value in it and don't want to limit it. The same is true of fan art. It's technically against copyright but the copyright holder understands that there isn't any harm in allowing it as it's often just fans being fans. It's not good PR to be overly aggressive in things like that which is why Nintendo for example gets so much flack in that regard by it's fans.

Saying "The law is the law" is just ignoring how it actually works.

Cut the crap. THE LAW IS THE LAW. PERIOD.

That copyright owners can license and defend their work as they see fit does not change the law.

There is no crap, that is how copyright works. It's why people who break copyright don't instantly go to jail nor are they fined. Instead it entirely depends on the copyright holder on whether or not they want to pursue it. For example, technically even making mods is against copyright and the only reason you can do it is because the company explicitly allows it, or they see the value in it and don't want to limit it. The same is true of fan art. It's technically against copyright but the copyright holder understands that there isn't any harm in allowing it as it's often just fans being fans. It's not good PR to be overly aggressive in things like that which is why Nintendo for example gets so much flack in that regard by it's fans.

Saying "The law is the law" is just ignoring how it actually works.

No, you are full of crap. The law is indeed the law, whether or not copyright holders choose to exercise their rights. It is the copyright holders decision entirely.

Also, No, most game companies that make moddable games, explicitly grant you the right to mod them. Hence, NOT illegal.

If I understand this correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, the whole one click collection thing depends on using Vortex as a Premium Member.

BigBizKit said it will be an open API so MO2 and NMM can implement the Collections system as well if they want to.

The one-click option is dependent on being a Premium member because a free user still has to be served ads for every mod they download since that's the revenue stream for free users.

No, you are full of crap. The law is indeed the law, whether or not copyright holders choose to exercise their rights. It is the copyright holders decision entirely.

Literally what I just said.

Also, No, most game companies that make moddable games, explicitly grant you the right to mod them. Hence, NOT illegal.

Ya, no crap. That's what I just said. Whether or not something is or isn't against copyright entirely depends on whether or not the copyright holder allows it. Some of you are pretty terrible at reading comprehension. Or purposefully ignore what is being said.

Edit: Well with the exception of "the law is the law" .. again, it's not like that. Each copyright holder decides for themselves how they want to uphold their copyright. Which you and I LITERALLY agree on based on what you just wrote.

Ya, no crap. That's what I just said. Whether or not something is or isn't against copyright entirely depends on whether or not the copyright holder allows it. Some of you are pretty terrible at reading comprehension. Or purposefully ignore what is being said.

No, you're explaining it wrong. Violating copyright is against the copyright laws. Whether or not the copyright holder wishes to initiate action against the violator is up to them, but it doesn't change the law.

Your argument is basically that punching someone isn't against the law unless they press charges.

No, you're explaining it wrong. Violating copyright is against the copyright laws. Whether or not the copyright holder wishes to initiate action against the violator is up to them, but it doesn't change the law.

Your argument is basically that punching someone isn't against the law unless they press charges.

But then by your argument it's still illegal to make mods, it's just the company doesn't sue you for it. Because there are many games that exist where they don't explicitly allow modding. Even their ToS states how you are not allowed to modify things. Pretty sure EA with The Sims 4 is one of them. Yet ... it's still done ... and EA doesn't sue anyone.

Same with fan art. It's not like every company explicitly says fan art is allowed.

So no, I disagree with you.

Edit: Also, just because someone doesn't press charges for getting punched doesn't mean the person who assaulted the other wouldn't be fined for breaking the law. Whereas copyright, the police don't enforce it in the same way like that. It's literally all up to the copyright holder to uphold their copyright.