Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Guest deleted34304850

i find that people who make hopeless analogies like the one above do so because they lack fundamental understanding of the issue. you'll see that they make an analogy, they stick to it, so that when its pointed out that the analogy doesn't work at all and their thought process is completely wrongheaded, they will turn this around and blame mod authors.

this thread is 76 pages long and about 60 of those pages are users who really don't know what they're talking about making analogies that don't work at all, then arguing about it, thus derailing the whole topic completely, just so their nonsense can be read by the masses.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see Nexus doing away with the forums. Ever. Generates a fair bit of traffic, (ad revenue) and I do believe that comments on mod pages are also tied into the forum software.

As for going to 'something more modern'...... You mean, like beth did, and essentially killed their community with the crappy software they picked, twice?? "Modern" does NOT mean "Better". My bank recently updated their online banking software, and quite honestly, the new platform flat out sucks. In the interests of looking 'more modern', they have seriously compromised the utility of it. I hate it. And I am not the only one. But, they won't change it...... Typical.

I'd love to see the demographics forums vs database. I feel there was way more activity in the forums in the past, at least if you take only Bethesda games forums into account. More and more I get the feeling forums are outdated, even if they are up to date with modern standards. There's a lot of other platform variants that show way better functionality.

By modern I meant something like "away from forum software" in general. What other use do forums have vs f.e. Discord or Reddit, other than archiving? There's also YT and Twitch, and not to forget Steam. In terms of support Discord is superior. Hell, even Emailing is. I nowadays often feel forums are just used because of traditional reasons.

Forums provide a relatively permanent record, something discord/other chat clients do not. For the purposes of a gaming forum, that offers user-based support for said games, forums are vastly superior to any chat client. Beth moving all of their support, etc, to discord is, in my opinion, a stupid move. What used to be a wealth of archived information, will soon be gone, and all that utility along with it.

Maybe it seems like the 'fashionable trend' at the moment, but, that does NOT mean it's a 'good idea'.

But, yeah. I am sure the mods database sees much more traffic than the forum. That does not mean the forums are not serving a useful purpose.

I agree. Forums provide some permanent record. I have found the answer to many of my questions/problems by searching the forums. Chat type clients can't do that.

The reason for premium for a one click experience has to do with bandwidth limitations and costs ..... If you want to use WabbaJack you have to have a Premium account on Nexus

I doubt most of you have even the slightest clue as to what it costs to build and maintain a server farm to handle a site with this many mods and users .... HINT: More than most of you will likely make in a lifetime

Nor do most of you have a clue as to what it takes to maintain the obviously massive database that is the heart of this system ..... Having people constantly deleting files nily wily is a nightmare for those trying to maintain the database and make it work efficiently ..... No corporation will let the ordinary users of their corporate database just delete files whenever they want ... No you have to go through a "chain of command" to make ANY changes to a corporate database for reasons that are obvious to those of us that have had years of experience in that type of environment ... Frankly I'm surprised they let it go on for as long as they have

The simple solution would have been an opt-out NOW, with the explicit understanding that not opting out was the permanent choice. Carry that forward by adding an opt-in/opt-out selection to the upload process that was a permanent choice.

That would forever have made your collections simple, no mods that were opted in would be deleted (or could be archived), and if anyone wanted a mod that wasn't opted in badly enough they might bestir themselves enough to add it to their load order.

It doesn't matter how many times you spin this around, the bottom line is that you and your team wanted every single mod uploaded to the nexus to keep for your own use. Greed looks ugly on every person that tries to wear it. So does lying regardless of your motives.

You changed your rules and TOS without notifying anyone because you didn't want to lose any mods for those collections ~ but they weren't 'your' mods to make that choice about. You didn't create them. You merely appropriated them in the shadiest manner possible.

Nexus would never have become what it did without mod authors. Period. No one would have the selection that is available here if it weren't for each and every mod author that uploaded one or one hundred mods here, and many of them did so because of the original TOS. You could have chosen to do this with honor, and most mod authors would have chosen to opt-in all or most of their mods. I would have opted out on three of my mods and left the rest available. Faced with the ultimatum originally posted, I opted out on all of mine.

I will not be back. I forgive often, but I will only trust once. You blew that trust, and nothing you say will change that now.

It doesn't matter how many times you spin this around, the bottom line is that you and your team wanted every single mod uploaded to the nexus to keep for your own use. Greed looks ugly on every person that tries to wear it. So does lying regardless of your motives.

You changed your rules and TOS without notifying anyone because you didn't want to lose any mods for those collections ~ but they weren't 'your' mods to make that choice about. You didn't create them. You merely appropriated them in the shadiest manner possible.

Why the heck do you think longjohn119 works for the Nexus?

If you want to use WabbaJack you have to have a Premium account on Nexus

Whoever said this, is spreading misinformation. I had confirmed with a Wabbajack modpack author that can you use it without paying anything to anyone.

Plus Wabbajack works fine with ModDB which by the way doesn't make it harder for users to download even huge files.

Really a mod author does a great service to their users by switching to a user-friendly mod hosting service.

Whoever said this, is spreading misinformation. I had confirmed with a Wabbajack modpack author that can you use it without paying anything to anyone.

Plus Wabbajack works fine with ModDB which by the way doesn't make it harder for users to download even huge files.

Really a mod author does a great service to their users by switching to a user-friendly mod hosting service.

Premium service isn't required, no, but as with Collections, Wabbajack users with premium accounts get to streamline things with one-click installs. So there IS a benefit for those people. Unfortunately for those of us providing the content for them to exploit, there's no benefit for us.

Premium service isn't required, no, but as with Collections, Wabbajack users with premium accounts get to streamline things with one-click installs. So there IS a benefit for those people. Unfortunately for those of us providing the content for them to exploit, there's no benefit for us.

IMO, Its actually worse than that - some MA's at Nexus are now quite reluctant to share assets etc and are closing their permissions. This unintended fallout from the Nexus debacle is kinda concerning me and if it continues like this you are going to see an increasing number of MA's leave the scene. Asset sharing leads to new mods and without new assets this community isn't moving forward, IMO

Asset sharing leads to new mods

Yep, and my telvanni modders resource will not be on Nexus anymore, it will be offsite and this will be one of its new requirement on the permissions tab:

"Permission is never granted to be used on websites that have a none-revocable/infinite distribution license! So for example, if you intend to use these assets and then upload them on a website like Nexusmods that will keep your mod forever, and by extension also keep my assets that you used forever, without any possibility of the choice of deletion, then you do not get my permission to use my assets. My mods are for free, this modders resource is for free, the choice of deletion comes with that freedom. If a website does not grant you the ability to permanently delete your own files, then don't use my resources."

Funny how a few years back I had to add this to my permissions tab because of paid mods:

"You must release your work to the public for free use and you must never charge any money for it."

And Nexus was fighting against that as well, supporting modders, yet now I consider Nexus to be just like Bethesda and their greed, except in a more sneaky and indirect way, at least Bethesda was strait-forward and honest about the whole thing.

And no I'm not directly comparing the two situations, but with Nexus its layer on layer on layer which basically gives the end result of earning more indirect profit, so in that sense, I see a resemblance, except authors get nothing in this case, they even lose something they had before.

Edited by Guest