Trying to understand

MajorCyco

the problem is, that in the meantime experienced users and skilled mod authors can foresee the future to some extent and many even give up to explain the obvious problems that will arise based on wrong expectations spreaded by the smooth-talkers here.

If things go they way I think they'll go, you'd better buckle up, because it's going to be one hell of a ride, and the modders will be the ones getting all the flak.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is, that in the meantime experienced users and skilled mod authors can foresee the future to some extent and many even give up to explain the obvious problems that will arise based on wrong expectations spreaded by the smooth-talkers here.

If things go they way I think they'll go, you'd better buckle up, because it's going to be one hell of a ride, and the modders will be the ones getting all the flak.

Just wait for someone with 4-8 gigs of Ram, and an old graphics card, downloads a Collection that has the "official Hi-Res Textures, along with 4K texture mods, with super high resolution titties the size of a zeppelin collection"

Can't wait for the accusations to fly at us modders when we start getting blamed for it not running on their system

Just wait for someone with 4-8 gigs of Ram, and an old graphics card, downloads a Collection that has the "official Hi-Res Textures, along with 4K texture mods, with super high resolution titties the size of a zeppelin collection"

Can't wait for the accusations to fly at us modders when we start getting blamed for it not running on their system

exactly. and we will have to answer questions like: please reduce the resolution of the texture x and y and maybe also z. and also isn't mesh xyz too complex for the collection ? ...

this will be a fun ride and it is clear from now on who will be blamed...

the best: ma cannot delete their old versions and for a majority incompatible mod-parts because nexusmods does not allow that.

You forgot the high poly meshes in that fun soup.

Hasn't this always been the case, though? Noob users are a thing. It now will be a question of who supports what. To me, this will mostly fall on the collection curator. A mod author would be perfectly within their rights to refuse support if their mod was included in a collection that they didn't want it to be in.

Hasn't this always been the case, though? Noob users are a thing. It now will be a question of who supports what. To me, this will mostly fall on the collection curator. A mod author would be perfectly within their rights to refuse support if their mod was included in a collection that they didn't want it to be in.

Tell that to the end user

As we've already seen, it's always the mod author who get the blame first

And mod list makers could easily say "Lol, don't blame me, tell that to the mod author, I just make collections"

how should a collections curator solve such a problem ? ask 5 of the 20 ma to reduce the size of some of their textures ? and if which ones ? same with meshes. this is all a bad joke nothing else. complex mod collections are a dead end for most users nothing else. and they are just good to generate stupid or unsolvable questions nobody will seriously answer - except showler.

Tell that to the end user

As we've already seen, it's always the mod author who get the blame first

And mod list makers could easily say "Lol, don't blame me, tell that to the mod author, I just make collections"

And the mod author will say: "My mod works fine out of collections. Don't pester me, go pester the curator that shoved my mod in its collection. I don't support collections."

Aaaand then... let the fun begin.

I mean, you could put it in the TOS for Collections that sending someone to the mod author without first confirming that the problem is in the mod and that there isn't a newer version that fixes the problem is against the rules and then you could delete the Collections of any curator that behaves that way, but nobody here would ever believe that could happen.

And they've already said that someone who goes to a mod authors page when that mod was downloaded as part of a Collection will get a big pop-up message telling them that they should be going to the curator rather than the mod author for help, so the only people who will be doing that will be complete jerks who are breaking the rules, but that information will get ignored as well.

And you could mention that there is a planned beta period where mod authors will get to have input into how the system works and mitigating problems for the mod authors is going to be a major topic of discussion, but no one here will care.

Those Collection curators and users are just morons who are out to make mod authors lives miserable, after all.

I think all the concern over mod packs is simply resentment by some authors over their forced participation. Robin has adopted a "you will do as we say" attitude and, quite frankly, that attitude has pissed more than a few authors.

All the debate about mod packs and how well they will or will not work, about who is responsible for diagnosing failures and who will be accountable for maintaining upgrades is just symptoms of the larger problem. That is not so say that these are not legitimate concerns, but they diminish the real issue. Robin is forcing authors to do something they don't want do to. And he (and some here) are belittling authors for their anger and frustration over the conditions they find themselves.

Especially when you consider that the ONLY option open to authors is to delete their mods, or submit to Robin's authoritarian approach.