Forum Vigilantes

Dark0ne

I've noticed as of late that many people on the forum are trying to take the law into their own hands and indicate to the moderators when threads have been wrongly bumped, resurrected or spam is occuring. This not only gets frustrating when others are trying to do our jobs (we are perfectly capable, don't worry) but also sparks a new discussion in threads about whether or not said thread has been resurrected or not. Its getting a tad annoying...

I'd like to point people to the "Report Post To A Moderator" feature. I check my email daily so reported posts will be checked up on. The only member known to actually use this feature effectively is Peregrine *claps*

So, when you see an example of thread necromancy, spamming or wrong doing don't start replying to the thread with reasons why it should be deleted et cetera, because more than likely your post will be deleted too and you'll be affected by the same -4 post count deducted the spammers get.

So, conclusion: Use report moderator feature, don't start telling people what they can and can't do. Thats our job.

Thanks.

I just tried to report an abusive comment by a new member who hasn't been able to install a mod probably and is swearing at the modder, but the report feature isn't working at all for me :sad:

Edit: Reporting from within the comments section of the mod didn't work, but I just followed the link to the forums and the report feature worked from here :smile:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried to report an abusive comment by a new member who hasn't been able to install a mod probably and is swearing at the modder, but the report feature isn't working at all for me :sad:

Edit: Reporting from within the comments section of the mod didn't work, but I just followed the link to the forums and the report feature worked from here :smile:

This seems to be a bug that was created when the forums were recently upgraded. I'll make sure Dark0ne is aware of it. (I verified the problem)

LHammonds (File Admin)

• 5 months later...

ok I was not sure as the rules state what can happen to your acct, so that can seam as a vigilante. I will probably just post a link to the rules and tell them to read this :biggrin:

Actually, I'm a bit uncertain now.

If you believe that someone else’s post does not fit into these criteria then you are encouraged to report the comment in question for moderator review. Above all do not post in reply to the offending comment however good intentioned your post might be, even if you are the author of the file in question.

Am I doing the wrong thing when I try to prevent people from getting banned by pointing to the section of the ToS they are apparently violating? (E.g. misguided folks who are uploading copyrighted music, etc.). If a moderator reads this and confirms that I should refrain from doing so then I'll certainly comply.

I think it usually is okay if you say advise. Like "I advise you take down this file, before a moderator does it for you." It makes it suggestive rather than imperative. I think.

I mostly use that in the chatroom, though, as there's no report button. For other things, the report button is the way to go.

I would say that giving advice with a condition attached, isn't really advice, it is more of an ultimatum, and that to me is being a Vigilante :)

now to say something like "You might want to take a look at this link, and judge for yourself if you are following the rules" might be ok, but will wait for an Admin to confirm.

My whole reason for asking these questions, is not everyone reads the rules of posting or uploading, so might not be aware what they are doing is wrong (especially new people to TesNexus). so if we point them to the rules, then they have no reason, and should be reported. I believe everyone should get at least 1 chance. even people who should know better (everyone can have a bad day and post a comment that is not appropriate, then regret it later).

I would also like to see the TesNexus Terms of Service somewhere on the front page, so people would have no reason not to see them at least 1 time, like maybe at the top of the page (but then again people don't read the description of mods and then complain about how it works), but at least it would be in plain site.

Maybe some of the time they can, but my best friend lost his job, his girlfriend left him, his car died, and found out his mother was in ICU, all before noon, then made the mistake of posting and was banned for it, he doesn't play Oblivion anymore, but he had a really bad day.