This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

We see cursing as disrespectful.

What?

Cursing is unclean.

Disrespect is disrespectful.

I believe that is what Dark0ne was implying, unless I am mistaken.

Considering cursing disrespectful is, to be bold, silly. Casual swearing is used for emphasis, not disrespect. You'd have to be pretty vein to hear someone drop an F-bomb and take it personally.

Edited by Nosdrapoel

Casual swearing is exactly the kind of disrespectful attitude we discourage here. Exactly.

It's not vanity, it's maturity. Children are casually disrespectful. Adults, (or at least those who would be treated as such) know better.

Casual swearing is exactly the kind of disrespectful attitude we discourage here. Exactly.

What?

You're not making any sense to me.

Disrespect literally means "show a lack of respect for; insult."
Curse words can be used for anything - they're wildcards used for emphasis. I could curse you out, and that would be disrespectful. I could just as easily use an F-bomb to emphasize what an awesome person you are, and that would not be disrespectful.

All that needs to be said to the OP is this: Right, wrong or otherwise, this is the Dark0ne's house, and we have to play by his rules. Or, if you don't like the rules, go play somewhere else. Simple, really.

What's your point? I might not be able to change the rules, and I'm not trying to. I'm simply asking why they are in place.

This is clearly not a problem, because the staff are talking to me and answering my questions respectfully, and I think I found a satisfying answer to the question if Dark0ne confirms.

What?

Curse words can be used for anything - they're wildcards used for emphasis. I could curse you out, and that would be disrespectful. I could just as easily use an F-bomb to emphasize what an awesome person you are, and that would not be disrespectful.

The fact that you believe you are entitled to use profanities and obscenities in a public discussion is an example of the "casual disrespect" I mean. The fact that you don't even realize how insulting that is is an additional example. It shows no consideration for others who may be (and frequently are) offended by such language.

And so, by using such language, one would be "showing a lack of respect". One would be being "disrespectful". Q.E.D.

(Which, based on your original post on this topic, is exactly what you were, and for which you were sanctioned.)

What?

The fact that you believe you are entitled to use profanities and obscenities in a public discussion is an example of the "casual disrespect" I mean. The fact that you don't even realize how insulting that is is an additional example. It shows no consideration for others who may be (and frequently are) offended by such language.

And so, by using such language, one would be "showing a lack of respect". One would be being "disrespectful". Q.E.D.

(Which, based on your original post on this topic, is exactly what you were, and for which you were sanctioned.)

I never said anything about being entitled. I'm not entitled to anything. Dark0ne could permanently IP ban me from the website and blacklist my MAC address for no reason and it would not be unfair, because I am a guest of this website. The purpose of these posts is to figure out why cursing is forbidden out of curiosity.

Again, this is not an attempt to change any rules - This forum is an opportunity for me to get some insight into why some people take cursing so seriously.

For cursing to be considered disrespectful, rather than simply unclean, requires someone to choose to take offense to it. I now want to know why you choose to take cursing as disrespect, but I will not digress by asking you here.

I already found a satisfying answer. If Dark0ne sees cursing as a form of deviance, like I see disrespect or racism as a form of deviance, then that explains why this forum takes it seriously.

Edited by Nosdrapoel

What?

I never said anything about being entitled. I'm not entitled to anything. Dark0ne could permanently IP ban me from the website and blacklist my MAC address for no reason and it would not be unfair, because I am a guest of this website. The purpose of these posts is to figure out why cursing is forbidden out of curiosity.

Again, this is not an attempt to change any rules - This forum is an opportunity for me to get some insight into why some people take cursing so seriously.

For cursing to be considered disrespectful, rather than simply unclean, requires someone to choose to take offense to it. I now want to know why you choose to take cursing as disrespect, but I will not digress by asking you here.

I already found a satisfying answer. If Dark0ne sees cursing as a form of deviance, like I see disrespect or racism as a form of deviance, then that explains why this forum takes it seriously.

"Casual" cursing can give less mature individuals a segue, or make them feel its their right or privilege, to be vulgar or disrespectful or otherwise unwanted. I gave warning because I did not want another user to feel they could spew "emphasis" in the chat, thus requiring me to warn more users, and eventually having to outright ban...all for emphasis.

This is a hillarious discussion. The good old curse words=immature/disrespectful internet mantra. It never gets old (just like the nigerian princess and similar things).

At least you're not trying to use the protecting the children argument (too much at least).