Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #52884813.

Sern wrote:

I'm sooo on the fence right now about whether or not to bother with a playthrough on SE with MO2. Half of what I read screams "no, wait for better horizons." The other half, "Just do it. There's no way to tell when the improved stuff is gonna be here." But then I look at the timeline originally submitted as a rough outline. I always prefer to take the max time stated as the more likely outcome. But are we not nearing that max timeline scenario? It would just be nice to know if close (1-2 months) or come back in 2018+. If 2018+, THEN I take the dozens of hours long plunge into the abyss relearning all about modding Skyrim, especially on SE with no SKSE. I mean, really, it's no small time investment. It could take me 2+ evenings after work just to get everything in order to possibly play on day 3. Not the worst thing in the world but would stuck to see that many hours end up wasted. Not to mention there's no telling how stable the end result of the effort will even be.

I know before there were considerations needing to be made for things like TES5Edit, LOOT, Wrye Bash (plz no). To anyone who says, "It's not complicated" is either a mod creator / dev or someone who has repeated the setup process many more times than I have.

1.) Install Skyrim.

2.) Backup Skyrim install in case you need to revert without downloading entire installation again (since validation ignores non vanilla files).

3.) Install MO/equivalent.

4.) Download a bazillion miscellaneous attachments to MO.

5.) Look up half a dozen Youtube videos on how to run them all.

6.) Look at the clock and try not to facepalm.

7.) Run TES5Edit to clean a game that Bethesda could have cleaned with minimal effort despite the obvious modding community interest.

8.) Finally start downloading and installing mods.

9.) Run LOOT and pray to the LOOT gods your mods are in order or else.

10.) Edit a half dozen or so INI files.

10.) Experience intense A.D.D. and obsessive compulsiveness as you stress over the likely potential you failed to back something crucial up as you tab back and forth across a rugged and endless landscape of browser tabs.

11.) Consider the possibility of having to merge mods together.

12.) Realize it's past 12am and you haven't even eaten dinner yet, you silly fk.

13.) Dinner can wait; you came this far. Launch!

14.) CMD opens, game opens (good thing you disabled the damned intro), CTD.

15.) Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................................ Where did it all go wrong?

16.) Go to bed hungry and without Skyrim. Worst fears confirmed.

I feel ya'. I've been going through the same thing, all over again. Only, I'm not as fast as you are. It takes me 'weeks'. Probably because I'm following STEP and I keep rereading all those mod descriptions and such. You see, STEP doesn't recommend a number of mods that I want to add, but need patches for from some of the mods they do recommend.

I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment because I'm going to keep working on it until I get it working. For now, I'll stick to STEP, keeping 'that' to a minimum to make the environment look good. Then I'll spread out from there.

Good luck and have fun. :-/

Can't wait for the new NMM.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #52884813. #53254423 is also a reply to the same post.

Sern wrote:

I'm sooo on the fence right now about whether or not to bother with a playthrough on SE with MO2. Half of what I read screams "no, wait for better horizons." The other half, "Just do it. There's no way to tell when the improved stuff is gonna be here." But then I look at the timeline originally submitted as a rough outline. I always prefer to take the max time stated as the more likely outcome. But are we not nearing that max timeline scenario? It would just be nice to know if close (1-2 months) or come back in 2018+. If 2018+, THEN I take the dozens of hours long plunge into the abyss relearning all about modding Skyrim, especially on SE with no SKSE. I mean, really, it's no small time investment. It could take me 2+ evenings after work just to get everything in order to possibly play on day 3. Not the worst thing in the world but would stuck to see that many hours end up wasted. Not to mention there's no telling how stable the end result of the effort will even be.

I know before there were considerations needing to be made for things like TES5Edit, LOOT, Wrye Bash (plz no). To anyone who says, "It's not complicated" is either a mod creator / dev or someone who has repeated the setup process many more times than I have.

1.) Install Skyrim.

2.) Backup Skyrim install in case you need to revert without downloading entire installation again (since validation ignores non vanilla files).

3.) Install MO/equivalent.

4.) Download a bazillion miscellaneous attachments to MO.

5.) Look up half a dozen Youtube videos on how to run them all.

6.) Look at the clock and try not to facepalm.

7.) Run TES5Edit to clean a game that Bethesda could have cleaned with minimal effort despite the obvious modding community interest.

8.) Finally start downloading and installing mods.

9.) Run LOOT and pray to the LOOT gods your mods are in order or else.

10.) Edit a half dozen or so INI files.

10.) Experience intense A.D.D. and obsessive compulsiveness as you stress over the likely potential you failed to back something crucial up as you tab back and forth across a rugged and endless landscape of browser tabs.

11.) Consider the possibility of having to merge mods together.

12.) Realize it's past 12am and you haven't even eaten dinner yet, you silly fk.

13.) Dinner can wait; you came this far. Launch!

14.) CMD opens, game opens (good thing you disabled the damned intro), CTD.

15.) Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................................ Where did it all go wrong?

16.) Go to bed hungry and without Skyrim. Worst fears confirmed.

Ewookie1 wrote: I feel ya'. I've been going through the same thing, all over again. Only, I'm not as fast as you are. It takes me 'weeks'. Probably because I'm following STEP and I keep rereading all those mod descriptions and such. You see, STEP doesn't recommend a number of mods that I want to add, but need patches for from some of the mods they do recommend.

I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment because I'm going to keep working on it until I get it working. For now, I'll stick to STEP, keeping 'that' to a minimum to make the environment look good. Then I'll spread out from there.

Good luck and have fun. :-/

Can't wait for the new NMM.

Agreed.

• 4 weeks later...
Soo I'm guessing this is still a thing ??, is there any news at all on how it's going/ not going, no news is the food that feeds peoples impatience/ frustrations etc. I'm not demanding progress but a little progress news once every month or so or just a simple " its still in the works don't worry" would be great. If there are updates and I've missed them then I apologise and just ignore me like most people do...

Most recent "news" was this:

Update: Thank you to all the applicants and submissions, please note that this position is now filled.

We're looking for a UI Designer/front end developer to join our team at our office in Exeter, UK. The ideal candidate will be multi skilled with experience working with HTML/CSS/JS for both websites and desktop applications.

Your primary short term role will be to help design and shape our new desktop application "Vortex" which is replacing the Nexus Mod Manager... [emphasis added]

I think it's safe to say that since the vacancy announcement for the UI developer wasn't posted until early August, (and I don't remember when it closed, but it was at least several weeks later) then whoever is (or will soon be) in that role can't have had time to do very much at all.

I don't know about you, but I know I want the UI to be... amazing!

So let's give the team all the time they need. :thumbsup:

In response to post #53872873.

Thandal wrote:

Most recent "news" was this:

Update: Thank you to all the applicants and submissions, please note that this position is now filled.

We're looking for a UI Designer/front end developer to join our team at our office in Exeter, UK. The ideal candidate will be multi skilled with experience working with HTML/CSS/JS for both websites and desktop applications.

Your primary short term role will be to help design and shape our new desktop application "Vortex" which is replacing the Nexus Mod Manager... [emphasis added]

I think it's safe to say that since the vacancy announcement for the UI developer wasn't posted until early August, (and I don't remember when it closed, but it was at least several weeks later) then whoever is (or will soon be) in that role can't have had time to do very much at all.

I don't know about you, but I know I want the UI to be... amazing!

So let's give the team all the time they need. :thumbsup:

That's great any news is good news and this is very good news, thanks for the update.

I had a dream last night that Dark0ne sent me a PM asking if I wanted to participate in the closed testing for the new Vortex mod manager. Then I woke up and went to work, resigning myself to continue patiently waiting. :(

My birthday is in October, if Vortex releases, or I'm invited to join the closed alpha/beta testing on or before October 14th, I'll subscribe to a lifetime membership on the Nexus. Would be an awesome birthday present, hehe. :)

I finally found my want to play SE after a year after it's release. I deleted oldrim and all my mods stupidly when SE was released only to find out MO didn't officially support it and no SKSE64...Derp. (I even bought a new computer because my old one could barely handle oldrim)

Looks like I will be waiting a bit longer but for the better. I went looking for a new mod manager and remembered the nexus posting about a new one (this was when SE first came out last year iirc) but as I see here it has not been released yet but looks like it will be out soon! PLUS!! I just found out SKSE64 Alpha was released last month which, to be honest, I thought was dead.

So I will continue to wait patiently so I only have to do this once and do it the right way. With a most likely great mod manager from Tannin (Nexus Vortex) and a fully functional Skyrim special edition script extender. I can't wait! (Even though I said I can wait)

I have to reinstall so often from testing mods, conversions etc, that trying a new mod manager really wouldn't make my life any harder.

Of course, I'd have to stop mucking about with the mods, in order to be fair to said beta proggie. :)

I'm hoping it has a better way to do profiles than NMM does (having just tried it and done a lot of creative cussing at it)

:P

I had a dream last night that Dark0ne sent me a PM asking if I wanted to participate in the closed testing for the new Vortex mod manager. Then I woke up and went to work, resigning myself to continue patiently waiting. :sad:

My birthday is in October, if Vortex releases, or I'm invited to join the closed alpha/beta testing on or before October 14th, I'll subscribe to a lifetime membership on the Nexus. Would be an awesome birthday present, hehe. :smile:

I have to reinstall so often from testing mods, conversions etc, that trying a new mod manager really wouldn't make my life any harder.

Of course, I'd have to stop mucking about with the mods, in order to be fair to said beta proggie. :smile:

I'm hoping it has a better way to do profiles than NMM does (having just tried it and done a lot of creative cussing at it)

:tongue:

We will indeed be looking for people who are willing to test Vortex and provide detailed feedback. If you're interested, please PM me or Tannin42 with your email address and we'll get back to you. :thumbsup:

I had a dream last night that Dark0ne sent me a PM asking if I wanted to participate in the closed testing for the new Vortex mod manager. Then I woke up and went to work, resigning myself to continue patiently waiting. :sad:

My birthday is in October, if Vortex releases, or I'm invited to join the closed alpha/beta testing on or before October 14th, I'll subscribe to a lifetime membership on the Nexus. Would be an awesome birthday present, hehe. :smile:

Of course, I'd have to stop mucking about with the mods, in order to be fair to said beta proggie. :smile:

:tongue:

We will indeed be looking for people who are willing to test Vortex and provide detailed feedback. If you're interested, please PM me or Tannin42 with your email address and we'll get back to you. :thumbsup:

Well that was unexpected. Welcome, but unexpected.

Sometimes tongue in cheek comments are actually worthwhile.

whodathunkit. :P

(and sorry about 2 pm's, I really am sick this morning and brain is really fuzzy)