Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need someone to do a public-relations review on this material before you publish it. Text like the following reads like it was written by a surly teenager, and is really off-putting (I say that as someone who's actually paid to Supporter level so far, by the way): "There is a big difference between not listening to what some of our users are saying and not acting on what some of our users are saying/asking for/outright rudely demanding. I guarantee you, we read all the feedback we receive on Vortex and on the site, but not acting on that feedback does not mean we do not listen." It doesn't even send a clear message, and actually reinforces the "not listening" viewpoint!

What this should have said was something like "We read all the feedback we receive on Vortex and on the site. We are not able to act on or respond to every request or observation, but we do receive and consider it all. In prioritizing our work, we have to balance a number of factors including aggregate user preferences and demand level, clarity and validity of problem reports, issue severity and urgency, practicality of feature requests, and the project's actual goals."

I see similar messaging problems in other official posts here.

In response to post #58857216.

Darklocq wrote: You need someone to do a public-relations review on this material before you publish it. Text like the following reads like it was written by a surly teenager, and is really off-putting (I say that as someone who's actually paid to Supporter level so far, by the way): "There is a big difference between not listening to what some of our users are saying and not acting on what some of our users are saying/asking for/outright rudely demanding. I guarantee you, we read all the feedback we receive on Vortex and on the site, but not acting on that feedback does not mean we do not listen." It doesn't even send a clear message, and actually reinforces the "not listening" viewpoint!

What this should have said was something like "We read all the feedback we receive on Vortex and on the site. We are not able to act on or respond to every request or observation, but we do receive and consider it all. In prioritizing our work, we have to balance a number of factors including aggregate user preferences and demand level, clarity and validity of problem reports, issue severity and urgency, practicality of feature requests, and the project's actual goals."

It's because they are not professionals.

In response to post #58857216. #58922306 is also a reply to the same post.

Darklocq wrote: You need someone to do a public-relations review on this material before you publish it. Text like the following reads like it was written by a surly teenager, and is really off-putting (I say that as someone who's actually paid to Supporter level so far, by the way): "There is a big difference between not listening to what some of our users are saying and not acting on what some of our users are saying/asking for/outright rudely demanding. I guarantee you, we read all the feedback we receive on Vortex and on the site, but not acting on that feedback does not mean we do not listen." It doesn't even send a clear message, and actually reinforces the "not listening" viewpoint!

Vanguarde2017 wrote: It's because they are not professionals.

I hate corporate and PR speak. I much prefer being down to earth and myself rather than having to place what I write and say through the "PR bullshit machine". If that puts some people off then I'm OK with that.

Edited by Dark0ne

I hate corporate and PR speak. I much prefer being down to earth and myself rather than having to place what I write and say through the "PR bulls*** machine". If that puts some people off then I'm OK with that.

+ 1

In response to post #58857216. #58922306, #58926716 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

I hate corporate and PR speak. I much prefer being down to earth and myself rather than having to place what I write and say through the "PR bullshit machine". If that puts some people off then I'm OK with that.

@Dark0ne. Thank you for your always refreshing candor. I much prefer it to indigestible PR claptrap. Your candor has a clarity that's totally lacking in the muddy morass of PR Speak.

In response to post #58857216. #58922306, #58926716, #58931711 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Augusta Calidia wrote: @Dark0ne. Thank you for your always refreshing candor. I much prefer it to indigestible PR claptrap. Your candor has a clarity that's totally lacking in the muddy morass of PR Speak.

Nothing in what I suggested as an alternative approach is "PR speak", its just not directly insulting to one's userbase.

In response to post #58857216. #58922306, #58926716, #58931711, #58954851 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Augusta Calidia wrote: @Dark0ne. Thank you for your always refreshing candor. I much prefer it to indigestible PR claptrap. Your candor has a clarity that's totally lacking in the muddy morass of PR Speak.
Darklocq wrote: Nothing in what I suggested as an alternative approach is "PR speak", its just not directly insulting to one's userbase.

I disagree that your version is any better. I understand that anyone can be insulted for any reason. I also understand that just because someone is offended, it doesn't mean they're right.

How I write and get my point across is unlikely to change. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #58857216. #58922306, #58926716, #58931711, #58954851, #58955056 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Darklocq wrote: Nothing in what I suggested as an alternative approach is "PR speak", its just not directly insulting to one's userbase.
Dark0ne wrote: I disagree that your version is any better. I understand that anyone can be insulted for any reason. I also understand that just because someone is offended, it doesn't mean they're right.

How I write and get my point across is unlikely to change.

Not trying to be a fanboy but I have to side strongly with Dark0ne here. Darklocq, your "should have said" example is just the kind of vague and hyper polite junk that like 95% of the people hate. Speaking like that reinforces the idea that nobody really gives a damn about what's asked or said. "We're considering everything and balancing things from every angle and aspect and have to weight clarity and validity and and blabbla" helpdesk/support autoresponses 101. Nobody believes stuff like that. It's just over the top politically correct.

I also don't get your hostility towards the original quote. To me it tells clearly the message and I really can't understand how it's insulting! It literally reads that they read feedback but not responding doesn't mean they don't listen to it. That's a very reasonable position.