Simple manual load ordering plz

firsTraveler

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the entire time since Vortex was released I can't remember anyone saying that, most certainly no one official.

Again, the inverse is true: Once you did manual sorting you can't use LOOT without invalidating your custom order.

I, and everybody else, is fully aware of that, but being able to position an esp manually and then index locking it in Vortex, solves that, just like editing the metadata in LOOT itself, and locking a mod in position.

That is a perfect example of why a manual drag and drop would come in very handy in instances like that.

Manually drag and drop in position, lock index. Just like in the stand alone loot.

Feature creep. If I can drag and drop to do that why can I not drag and drop to do this other special case and so on and so on. Been there, wept the tears of frustration.

If you can drag and drop to do one, why would you be unable to drag and drop to do the other?

Feature creep. Once you allow drag and drop for one special case (Oh we would never need/want it for anything else) then you open the floodgates and all the support/issues/just impossible to do requests that quickly follow.

In the entire time since Vortex was released I can't remember anyone saying that, most certainly no one official.

Again, the inverse is true: Once you did manual sorting you can't use LOOT without invalidating your custom order.

I, and everybody else, is fully aware of that, but being able to position an esp manually and then index locking it in Vortex, solves that, just like editing the metadata in LOOT itself, and locking a mod in position.

That is a perfect example of why a manual drag and drop would come in very handy in instances like that.

Manually drag and drop in position, lock index. Just like in the stand alone loot.

Feature creep. If I can drag and drop to do that why can I not drag and drop to do this other special case and so on and so on. Been there, wept the tears of frustration.

If you can drag and drop to do one, why would you be unable to drag and drop to do the other?

Feature creep. Once you allow drag and drop for one special case (Oh we would never need/want it for anything else) then you open the floodgates and all the support/issues/just impossible to do requests that quickly follow.

Can you stop spamming your posts in between the ones where we're trying to figure something out?

It's not feature creep FFS, IT"S DRAG AND DROP PERIOD.

This wasn't "fluff" and it had plenty of relevance, as it showcases how people actually use LOOT, as judged by their responses in other threads concerning LOOT.

You misunderstand. I removed your statement, below the one you quoted, about what these forums should be for and you sharing the description of the forum. That's not what this thread is about.

People wanting it, and expending a great deal of effort to explain why, isn't a good enough reason? Sure, there may not be a "good TECHNICAL" reason for it. It's just preference. It also makes life easier (to me.) for those mods that LOOT DOESN'T have a rule for. New releases, or, a modders works in progress. (that haven't been released.) From my point of view, it is simply easier to let loot address the BASE load order, then manually drag any outliers to where I want them.

If this is a deal breaker for you right now, it's a deal breaker for you. If you won't use Vortex until it has manual load ordering then honestly, that's absolutely fine. Simply put, if your only argument against the way Vortex does things is a matter of personal preference then don't use it! We get it, there are some users who just want to use manual load ordering no matter what. And to those users, our official response is to simply not use Vortex. If at some point down the line we do add manual sorting, then give it a go then, if you like.

Sure, I could just set a rule..... but, for new/unreleased mods, where I am NOT sure where in the load order I actually want them, dragging to a position, testing, possibly moving it again, testing some more, to determine where I really do want it, and THEN set a rule to keep it there.

Just an FYI that in Vortex, you'd simply move it to various groups (or your own custom ones) until you found the right position in your load order, then set a rule for it, if needs be, that sticks once you're sure it's in the right place. It's a very simple procedure. In terms of time, it would be negligible between Vortex and another mod manager in this use-case, especially after the first time setting up your test cases and/or test groups.

All I've been asking for is the ability to manually sort, for occasions where it's the only solution to fix the load order.

All we're asking for is for you to provide us a use-case where manual sorting is the only solution to fix your load order. It's really, really hard to get that information from you because you write extremely convoluted responses that often tend to not answer the questions we've asked, or not provide nearly enough detail for us to answer properly.

You think we're not listening, we think you're not giving us enough of the right information to the questions we're asking.

So, when is the guide/documentation due out?

...I've now answered this question twice in this thread. Please read the response I made today on this topic.

Can you stop spamming your posts in between the ones where we're trying to figure something out?

It's not feature creep FFS, IT"S DRAG AND DROP PERIOD.

I was referring to:

which sounded like a special request to me, if it was not then sorry. I was answering other messages in the topic, slowly as usual and so they ended up interleaved. Nothing I can do about that, maybe we need manual ordering :sad: .

So, when is the guide/documentation due out?

Also, please don't make a tutorial video.

Having to watch a 20 minute video for information I can read in a couple of minutes isn't worth it.

Well, I back you up HadToRegister but a visual documentation like a video always helps a lot since a lot of people like it that way and especially with Vortex, I would definitely like to have both, as Dark0ne said, an integrated documentation into Vortex that will tell you what to do or not ( excellent ) + the video tutorial. We need to think about others too !

Tannin42, on 09 Sept 2018 - 4:02 PM, said:snapback.png

HadToRegister, on 09 Sept 2018 - 4:01 PM, said:snapback.png

How do you do that?

It's an input box. you type into it.

Didn't know that.

>> Did not know it either. Excellent ... even though I may not ever need it !

All we're asking for is for you to provide us a use-case where manual sorting is the only solution to fix your load order. It's really, really hard to get that information from you because you write extremely convoluted responses that often tend to not answer the questions we've asked, or not provide nearly enough detail for us to answer properly.

You think we're not listening, we think you're not giving us enough of the right information to the questions we're asking.

I've answered that twice already, by posting the link to this thread called "How to edit rules in italics", where I've been reporting what Vortex is telling me, and now Tannin has accused me of "Not putting any effort into helping", and accusing my posts of being "chaos", even though I've just been telling him what vortex is reporting.

The only chaos added to the thread has come straight from Vortex itself.

He's already said he won't download 6 - 8 gig sized mod to help figure out why I keep getting a cyclic rule and back cycle, saying

So...not sure what to do, but he seems to not want to bother figuring out what the problem is.

By the way, you've got half of my post quoted, and half of HeyYou's post quoted, was that your intention?

Because it was a little confusing to read responses to something I didn't write.

I've answered that twice already, by posting the link to this thread called "How to edit rules in italics", where I've been reporting what Vortex is telling me, and now Tannin has accused me of "Not putting any effort into helping", and accusing my posts of being "chaos", even though I've just been telling him what vortex is reporting.

When you post multiple replies to a single response of Tannin's, reference colours that don't exist in your post and don't answer all of the questions asked you are posting chaos. You yourself admit you went off track and then blame others for this.

I think you perhaps suffer from clicking the "post" button before you've properly read through what you've written and what you've been asked to respond to. In your head, I think you know what you want to say and think what you've written is going to make sense to others. But it doesn't. That is why you're getting increasingly frustrated responses, because honestly, that thread is a mess of misinformation and unanswered questions spread out across multiple posts that were unnecessary. It's all very flustered, as though you're in such a rush to get the information out that you're not including everything you've been asked to.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, don't rush, and focus on the problem and what you've been asked to provide. People are trying to help you.

Irrespective, that thread does not provide a good argument for manual sorting at this time. All we know is that something is wrong with your load order, and we don't know if it's something you've done or something Vortex/LOOT has done. We have no idea what conclusions we can pull from that thread until we get to the bottom of what exactly is going on, which we can only do with your cooperation.

By the way, you've got half of my post quoted, and half of HeyYou's post quoted, was that your intention?
Because it was a little confusing to read responses to something I didn't write.

Yes, it's intentional. It saves having to make multiple posts and clogging this thread up even more. If you didn't write it, you don't need to respond to it (unless you have something relevant to say).