Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #64565481. #64575221, #64621241, #64641356 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

So it was never answered in my previous comment thread, but why does vortex need the download folder to be empty, and will this ever change? I'm pretty sure all the problems I've had stem from this.

It needs to be empty because it creates it's own subfolders for all of the games it will be managing

CyanideInsanity wrote: I was more asking about the reasoning as to why, and not the explanation of code X makes program do X and not Y because code isn't Y.
Tannin42 wrote: Well, the dialog is about you telling vortex where it's supposed to store its own downloads and then vortex moves its existing downloads there.
If there are already files there then that implies another application is using that directory and various problems could arise from that
a) it could be messy
b) the applications could overwrite each others files
c) if the other application(s) add/modify files in that directory, Vortex will try to pick them up and interpret them as mod archives, who's to say that makes sense?
E.g. if Vortex picks up a new file in _its_ download folder it will contact Nexus Mods asking if that file is known and if so, retrieve meta information about it.
In the future the archive might be opened in the background, searched for a fomod/info.xml file and meta information retrieved from that.
If you have another application working on that same directory, one that maybe creates temporary files there for example, this may severely affect performance and could even cause errors from race conditions (e.g. vortex currently has the archive open while the other application thinks it can access it).

Bottom line is: Vortex assumes that it has exclusive use of that download folder, it's not designed to deal with other applications accessing it in parallel.
As such there is no scenario where it make sense to select a download folder that is not empty. If there are files there, Vortex assumes that something else is using the folder (obviously, because where would the files come from otherwise?) and assumes it was selected by mistake.

If your intention is to add files you manually downloaded to vortex as mod archives then give vortex an empty directory and move over your files afterwards. This way Vortex knows (well, assumes really) that it's supposed to pick them up.
CyanideInsanity wrote: Not the answer I was hoping for, but the explanation was. Maybe its known, or not, but vortex treats FO4VR as an entirely separate game from FO4 where as nexusmods does not, requiring its own dl folder with everything manually copied over.

You don't have to copy the files manually. Inside Vortex you can either just install the FO4 mod from the downloads page while managing FO4VR and it will show a dialog asking which of the two games to install the mod for (you want FO4VR obviously) or you can use the download page to assign the mod to FO4VR (a download can be assigned to multiple games) from the right sidebar and then it will show up as a "native" FO4VR mod.

I don't want to go into the details but for the website it makes sense to have FO4VR mods listed in the regular FO4 section and for Vortex it's necessary to treat them as different games so there isn't really an alternative, none without very serious drawbacks.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64509266. #64512826, #64515326, #64517946, #64518821, #64519006, #64519246, #64519851, #64519941, #64520086, #64520291, #64520391, #64674936 are all replies on the same post.

themaniac117 wrote: Vortex is garbage. It's an overdeveloped, messy, borked mess. Nice job sabotaging the original mod manager, which worked essentially out of the box. End of an era.
slowman87 wrote: Bullshit, I have been using this even since the alpha state. With NMM had several problems, crashes, and the tool suddenly stopped managing some files, making a mess of files. Go trow your garbage elsewhere!
ErraticFox wrote: I don't see why you're even complaining. Them building the Nexus Mods API is them literally making it so much easier for any one else (who has the knowledge) to build a mod manager or something similar to compete with their own Mod Manager.
WishkahKid wrote: One persons easy is another persons bullshit. keep it simple. NMM did just that. I'm really getting tired of those who use Vortex putting down NMM. It smells like propaganda. Bottom line, let people chose for themselves. Also, don't cut off NMM in your new API, as most of your users still use NMM., which by doing so only proves that you are trying to force folks to use your new Vortex.
Ethreon wrote: Nobody is forcing you to use anything, so cut the drama, we're not in a soap opera.
Mentazm wrote: Notice it's all the non-supporters complaining about Vortex!
WishkahKid wrote: Again, what has been said is the new up coming API will not support NMM. Which is more or less saying switch over to Vortex or else. Prove this different.
Tannin42 wrote: The new API is public and documented, NMM is open-source.
The old API hasn't been turned off, so there is time.
Ethreon wrote: Leaving aside the plethora of issues NMM has/had, the damn thing has been off for around 2 years. Nobody can force anyone to use a certain mod manager, so again quit the drama and the foot stomping. There's nothing to prove, you're arguing about a non-issue.
Augusta Calidia wrote: On the files page of every mod is a button labelled "Manual Download." Silly talk about Nexusmods "forcing" people to abandon NMM either simply ignores that fact or assumes that people are so brain dead they wouldn't know how to use the manual download option.
WishkahKid wrote: Alright, I would like some clarification, can I still auto download with NMM with the new up coming API. Yes or No?. Please explain more on this. I'm only interested in using NMM.
WishkahKid wrote: As to the poster above me, there are thousands of users still using NMM. Are they also brain dead?
dmki wrote: I agree, Vortex is garbage, due to bad programming and / or lack of proper testing. However, it isn't nearly as bad as the ignorance, stupidity and aggression of Vortex fan base.

WishkahKid
As to the poster above me, there are thousands of users still using NMM. Are they also brain dead?

Enough with the "Thousands of users" stuff, that's just an "Argumentum ad Populum" and has no bearing here.
Fine, you're unable to understand how vortex works, and would rather stick with a buggy Mod Manager that doesn't tell you about mod conflicts, be my guest, but don't go traipsing around here like you're Braveheart trying to to fire up his non-existent "Thousands of users"

Saw your 'download Vortex' button, so Vortex is finally out, eh ?

I'm using MO, so although I'm curious, given Vortex's author, I'd like to see a Vortex page, just like any other mod, where I can see the pro's and con's for informed decision making. But when I searched for 'Vortex', your engine only gave one result, a game mod with the word Vortex in its title. I chanced on the actual Vortex page via a news item, but 'chancing' as a search method is less than desirable, n'est pas ? Also, although the news page had what appeared to be a Nexus mod number in its URL, that number couldn't be used to find the Vortex mod manager. Do you these are matters that could/should be fixed ?

I used NMM many years ago when playing TESIII (to distinguish from the TES Online addon) (and btw TESIII STILL the best TES game, graphics aside) and it worked for a while but then stopped working and the mods then couldn't be installed or uninstalled, after which experience I steered clear of NMM. No doubt other people have different stories, but that was my experience. With Oblivion I discovered and used the OMM, but then I discovered MO, and have found it pretty wonderful, so far as mod managers go, and haven't stopped using it since. |||So for me, "why use Vortex?" the comparison needs to be with MO.||| That the author of MO wrote Vortex is a good recommendation for it, but to be frank, I just don't see any reason for changing from MO. Vortex would have to be better than MO's perfect, and offer advantages/facilities that MO doesn't have, which so far as I can see as a player (non-developer) Vortex doesn't have, to go from the news and info pages. I've had problems with LOOT mismanaging the load order, so Vortex wouldn't solve than and ?may actually make things harder by way of automaticity overriding player's choices.. ?

Edited by JoruneSkyman

Saw your 'download Vortex' button, so Vortex is finally out, eh ?

I'm using MO, so although I'm curious, given Vortex's author, I'd like to see a Vortex page, just like any other mod, where I can see the pro's and con's for informed decision making. But when I searched for 'Vortex', your engine only gave one result, a game mod with the word Vortex in its title. I chanced on the actual Vortex page via a news item, but 'chancing' as a search method is less than desirable, n'est pas ? Also, although the news page had what appeared to be a Nexus mod number in its URL, that number couldn't be used to find the Vortex mod manager. Do you these are matters that could/should be fixed ?

I used NMM many years ago when playing TESIII (to distinguish from the TES Online addon) (and btw TESIII STILL the best TES game, graphics aside) and it worked for a while but then stopped working and the mods then couldn't be installed or uninstalled, after which experience I steered clear of NMM. No doubt other people have different stories, but that was my experience. With Oblivion I discovered and used the OMM, but then I discovered MO, and have found it pretty wonderful, so far as mod managers go, and haven't stopped using it since. |||So for me, "why use Vortex?" the comparison needs to be with MO.||| That the author of MO wrote Vortex is a good recommendation for it, but to be frank, I just don't see any reason for changing from MO. Vortex would have to be better than MO's perfect, and offer advantages/facilities that MO doesn't have, which so far as I can see as a player (non-developer) Vortex doesn't have, to go from the news and info pages. I've had problems with LOOT mismanaging the load order, so Vortex wouldn't solve than and ?may actually make things harder by way of automaticity overriding player's choices.. ?

Vortex information: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7060326-vortex-help-center-faq-documentation/

Congratz on your new MM, I tried it but missed seeing the mod lists and plugins and couldnt resolve issues so went back to NMM...keep up the good work, Im sure it will mature given time and dedicated users but I just want to play SkyrimSE without too much effort in getting the mods I want to play playing...

Guest deleted34304850

what you learned today, is wrong.

you can still dowload mods with NMM. That has never, not once, changed.

I suggest you go back and learn some more.

I used vortex to mod fallout4 with 400ish mods and it worked fine for me. With Skyrim SE I use NMM (It takes a bit of planning and understanding how it works). NMM I am using 681 mods for Skyrim SE no issues. I think it is great to have choices since some MM do things better then others and some worse then others but all 4 MM's (NMM, MO2, Vortex and Wrye Bash) are great! just depends what game and you understanding what you are trying to do!

In response to post #64758586.

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

Ok then, how? the only option I can see to download with a MM is for Vortex? Clicking the icon to download with NMM does nothing? Mr.Tibbs

In response to post #64758586. #64785821 is also a reply to the same post.

1ae0bfb8 wrote:

SaulieSaul wrote: Ok then, how? the only option I can see to download with a MM is for Vortex? Clicking the icon to download with NMM does nothing? Mr.Tibbs

Open NMM and in the settings un/recheck 'associate with nxm urls'. AFAIK on the website all thats been changed so far is just the text on the download button, nothing under the hood. I can still use the unofficial NNM build for FO4VR just fine. Edited by CyanideInsanity