Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

Nicely timed. I for one will be trying out the new beta. I just went on a spree downloading mods for SSE through MO2 as I haven't played SSE modded yet but since I haven't started a load order I will try vortex since I am not biased towards MO2 or NMM like a lot of people seem to be.

Secondly after browsing a few comments here you can really see the fear of change. I don't see why everyone is up in arms because it was not indicated anywhere that they would be FORCED to switch from NMM to Vortex. I wonder what the average age is of these people ranting about losing NMM ? I bet they are 40+, most people afraid of change are older. (no offense to the ones welcoming change)

Keep up the good work

Edited by NateV8

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I hope to god you plan to fix these problems with vortex.

1 Crashing my pc when either I download mods or fixing plugins conflicts.

2 bring back the old file tabs that were used in NMM way more easy to find mods.

3 esp should be in the data folder of fallout 4 not in a separate folder for Vortex.

4 make it to where can move the load order for plugins for mods.

5 please take all this as constructive criticism and actually try to fix these problems.

6 good luck with this project.

Alright I switched from NMM to Vortex because I love having everything in one place and BOY OH BOY I wasn't disappointed! The Auto-Update feature is great and the integrated sorting mechanism makes installing mods SO easy. I could go on and on about it.

Hope more people will appreciate all the work you put into this community <3

Ok, so I hope to god you plan to fix these problems with vortex.

1 Crashing my pc when either I download mods or fixing plugins conflicts.

2 bring back the old file tabs that were used in NMM way more easy to find mods.

3 esp should be in the data folder of fallout 4 not in a separate folder for Vortex.

4 make it to where can move the load order for plugins for mods.

5 please take all this as constructive criticism and actually try to fix these problems.

6 good luck with this project.

You may find it more helpful to take these issues to the Vortex Forums (https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4301-vortex/). There you'll find very knowledgeable Vortex users who can provide solid advice and help.

Meanwhile, I'll briefly address the issues that you have raised.

1. PC Crash. Vortex has never crashed my PC in the eight months that I've been using Vortex. I'm using Vortex to manage three games (Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim SE) with a total of six profiles. My guess is that your problem is not Vortex itself but something that happened on the way to installing Vortex and/or setting up your games.

2. File Tabs. I switched from NMM to Vortex, and it took me a while to get used to its tab format. Now I find the tabs just as easy to use as the tabs in NMM. This may be nothing more than a matter of taste.

3. ESPs. Esps are indeed present in the game data folders, but they are present via hardlinks. This is pure genius on the part of Tannin, the developer. To understand and appreciate the advantages of this approach, please click on the Nexus Wiki links in the Vortex news release.

4. Load Order. You can adjust the load order for plugins in Vortex. In fact, it's quite easy. Once again, please consult the Nexus Wiki for Vortex.

5. Constructive Criticism. Thank you for your constructive criticisms. I too have tried to be constructive and helpful in my responses.

6. Good Luck to you.

Once again, I encourage you to visit the Vortex Forums for up-to-date information, advice, and help.

@DONKEYMILK -- No, Vortex is not a browser. Other programs such as 7-Zip and such utilities can read and unpack the archives which you actually download -- those files are not strictly Chrome files. Vortex only accesses Nexus. You can't go anywhere else with it, so it doesn't have the security risks that are inherent in a browser. Most files which are uploaded to Nexus go through a very thorough virus scan, so you are extremely unlikely to pick up malicious yicky stuff from a Nexus archive.

In short, Vortex is secure and safe to use.

wooo this one is great news to read. I'm sure the crybabies will continue their little rant about how bad everything is except their preferred outdated by 10 years software is. Maybe they will actually give this a try, or you know, just piss off.

In response to post #64385491.

calscks wrote: i used vortex when it was in early alpha stage earlier this year, and had to revert back to NMM almost instantly due to some ground-breaking bugs. since it has now advanced to beta i believe the stability would've improved drastically. but i still have one/several major questions.

1. i create a plugin using xEdit/CK. how will vortex react to this? xEdit and CK will save plugin directly into the Data folder.
2. BodySlide can batch build more than one mesh, replacing the original meshes a mod contains. how will vortex react to this activity such as batch building?
3. i pack a texture mod with loose files into ba2 archive. i proceed to delete all textures installed by the mod from the Data folder, then copy the ba2 archive into the Data folder. what will happen? or should I not touch the Data folder at all, and just modifies the mod install path vortex is managing?

well my questions are left unanswered...guess i'll stick with NMM for another couple of months then.

In response to post #64411261.

Balx2 wrote: wooo this one is great news to read. I'm sure the crybabies will continue their little rant about how bad everything is except their preferred outdated by 10 years software is. Maybe they will actually give this a try, or you know, just piss off.

Yeah, screw those guys who have a different opinion than us.
Enjoy using a mod organizer that you have been using for so long, while we will use one that is brand new.
mwah ha ha ha ha.

In response to post #64376296. #64384116, #64391911 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

-using vortex will I keep the same level of manual control

Yes, but in a different way than Drag and Drop, you make rules instead, telling Mod A to "load after mod B" etc.
THe MODS tab works with the Loose Textures/Meshes, and BSA, BA2 "load order" IE Which Texture/meshes overwrites another, which BSA2 gets priority over another etc.

-will moving my 127gb SSE folder into vortex be an issue? Both logistically and from a load order perspective

I think moving that many specifically edited/merged mods will be difficult for ANY mod manager, I would suggest to install another Betheda game, and mod it using Vortex to become familiairzed with how it works and what it does first, before committing 127gb to it.

-does vortex mess with load order without my consent, ie moving things without me wanting it to?

ONLY if you have AUTOSORT turned on.
Just disable Autosort if you don't want Vortex to automatically sort your Plugins IE esps, esms

-mod conflict resolution stuff, will it flag mod conflicts, any features with tie ins to xedit framework etc...

An Orange notification will pop up saying there is a file conflict, if you click on SHOW or MORE, it will filter the list to only the mods where there are file conflicts, then it's up to you to click on the red lightning bolt next to a mod and tell Vortex to either load the mod BEFORE or AFTER the conflicting mod.

- does it play nice with wyre WRYE (ftfy) bash?

Yes it does, I even run Wryebash right from the Vortex interface.
You can set up all of your editing tools right on the dashboard for each game.
I usually put Xedit, Wryebash/smash/flash, MatorSmash, BAE, BA2 Extractor,, etc in my Tools section on the dashboard.

maximkovalenko wrote: Question...with Vortex can I specifically tell one mod to always be at the bottom of my load order? Because some games don't play well with LOOT based sorting (F4, for instance) and if I can specifically tell Vortex that one mod always has to be at the bottom, I can build the rest of the list around it.
StriderOfTheWest wrote: Under plugins select the concerning esp, double click it, select "Locked to index" and enter 'FF' (I believe the load order is hexadecimal)

Very few mods actually need to load last, they just need to load in an appropriate place. You can force it by locking the index or add it to a loot group that loads later

In response to post #64385491. #64411706 is also a reply to the same post.

calscks wrote: i used vortex when it was in early alpha stage earlier this year, and had to revert back to NMM almost instantly due to some ground-breaking bugs. since it has now advanced to beta i believe the stability would've improved drastically. but i still have one/several major questions.

1. i create a plugin using xEdit/CK. how will vortex react to this? xEdit and CK will save plugin directly into the Data folder.
2. BodySlide can batch build more than one mesh, replacing the original meshes a mod contains. how will vortex react to this activity such as batch building?
3. i pack a texture mod with loose files into ba2 archive. i proceed to delete all textures installed by the mod from the Data folder, then copy the ba2 archive into the Data folder. what will happen? or should I not touch the Data folder at all, and just modifies the mod install path vortex is managing?
calscks wrote: well my questions are left unanswered...guess i'll stick with NMM for another couple of months then.

1 - it goes into the data folder and is not added as a mod entry unless you zip it up and install to Vortex
2 - Vortex will give you the "External changes" dialogue which will tell you which meshes changed and let you choose to save or revert.
3 - if you want to do that for a specific mod I would open the Vortex mods folder to make your changes. O did the same but for extracting BSAs