Vortex Terminology - Deploy/Purge

Pickysaurus

I want to point out also that when I switched over to Vortex from NMM it was incredibly confusing and overwhelming, but my brother who never used NMM or any other mod manager (he didn't used to play on PC and as such never modded anything) tried Vortex he said it all made sense for the most part. Though the forced C drive thing was irritating to him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I clicked on "Vortex Discussion" a few minutes ago and discovered a major discussion about terminology.

I prefer keeping the terms "purge/deploy." First, in my opinion, they are the most apt descriptions of the processes they denote. Second, they contribute to the transparency that Vortex has brought to mod management. Vortex has introduced an outstanding level of transparency to mod and plugin conflicts. The use of "purge" and "deploy" brings a further level of transparency to the mod implementation process. Third, "purge" and "deploy" are now established terms in the Vortex lexicon. I worry that changing them may cause more user problems than exist already.

Changing terminology is not the answer to helping Vortex users. Others in this discussion have offered some alternatives to changing terminology that may be worth pursuing.

Esse Vortex est purgare et disponere! :smile:

Edited by AugustaCalidia

I want to point out also that when I switched over to Vortex from NMM it was incredibly confusing and overwhelming, but my brother who never used NMM or any other mod manager (he didn't used to play on PC and as such never modded anything) tried Vortex he said it all made sense for the most part. Though the forced C drive thing was irritating to him.

Same here, former NMM user, and my biggest downfall starting out with Vortex was demanding a Manual Load Order Sort, because the practice had been ingrained into my head that a "perfect Load Order" involved ME not knowing WTF I was doing, but being able to put the ESPS in the order I was under the delusion of working properly.

Once I grasped the concept that I no longer HAD to worry about the Load Order of ESPS, and allowed Vortex to do it, and all I had to do was make a few decisions whenever Vortex said there was a problem, then my experience and mod installation setup and speed increased a hundredfold

Same here, former NMM user, and my biggest downfall starting out with Vortex was demanding a Manual Load Order Sort, because the practice had been ingrained into my head that a "perfect Load Order" involved ME not knowing WTF I was doing, but being able to put the ESPS in the order I was under the delusion of working properly.

Once I grasped the concept that I no longer HAD to worry about the Load Order of ESPS, and allowed Vortex to do it, and all I had to do was make a few decisions whenever Vortex said there was a problem, then my experience and mod installation setup and speed increased a hundredfold

I had a similar issue, then I had a realization that load order importance was being placed on this super tall pedestal and considered impossible for any machine to properly figure out when in truth it freakin barely mattered. Ironically my wife (who doesn't do video games or computers and prefers books) is the reason I learned this. Like I was explaining it to her and she's just like (rough summary from memory) "So only about six mods need to be in a certain order and the others can just sit in a random pile? Why not just put all six on the bottom in the order they should be in relation to each other? Wouldn't that be easier." and I'm like "uh..." and like boom! I realized the stupidity of the argument for load orders and how LOOT really isn't necessary for anything other then detecting conflicts you weren't aware of.

Shortly after I gave Vortex another shot and found it was a really awesome tool (also that a lot of my past issues had been fixed like the weird and confusing spiderweb thing that was used for conflicts)

One more reply to Tannin.

We see a fair number of users new to modding. They are unwilling to read mod descriptions or Vortex tutorials. I doubt if they will read tooltips.

Not much we can do for them except handhold after they fall down. Or send them back to NMM.

This includes some of our more ballistic first posters. I personally am unwilling to deal with an abusive poster.

One more reply to Tannin.

We see a fair number of users new to modding. They are unwilling to read mod descriptions or Vortex tutorials. I doubt if they will read tooltips.

Not much we can do for them except handhold after they fall down. Or send them back to NMM.

This includes some of our more ballistic first posters. I personally am unwilling to deal with an abusive poster.

A lot of them don't even think to look under the SETTINGS menu to see what SETTINGS can be changed.

I guess I'm one of a few that does that with every new program I use.

I IMMEDIATELY find the OPTIONS or SETTINGS Menu, and see what things I can change.

I would say a good percentage of help questions could be solved just by looking at the settings menu.

I've already answered a couple of the usual "My game is gone from the dashboard, I've "Looked Everywhere™ and can't find a way to get it back" yesterday and today

Guest deleted34304850

I ignore most rude users. Makes life better.

The good Doctor hits that nail firmly and squarely on the head.

Best to ignore them and let them wallow in their own self-inflicted misery and if they're very hostile, even to helping hands, hit that report button. No-one deserves abuse - and that includes Tannin and the rest of the team behind this very impressive program.

We did have an advanced mode initially which was originally intended for exactly this. The problem is that people don't consider them beginners if they've used NMM for years.

I'm not sure about you but my impression is that we get a lot more confusion from former NMM users who expect everything to work as they're used to rather than from actually new users who _know_ they have some learning to do and thus follow the instructions.

Agree 100%. RTFM, people! LOL!

But I agree. Keeping the current terminology, but maybe tweaking the interface to be more leading (a stronger deploy reminder, for example), is better.

Alright, well it seems the Vortex veterans all have a similar option. It'd be nice to hear from some less experienced users too.

I did have a concept I drew up for making the current deployment state more obvious, but I can't find it right now. Maybe it's something we'll revisit.