An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56641926. #56646641, #56651231 are all replies on the same post.

Galschar wrote: I really hope Vortex gets released soon. I want to start modding Fallout 4 with it :)
tajetaje wrote: Agreed
Galschar wrote: For now, I am making a mod list that I'll use for my next F4 play-through.
Cause that's always the part that takes ages :)

As a matter of fact, still not having bought FO4, I'm waiting with my purchase until Vortex is released :P

ModPacks:

Ok, so, a user doesn't have a lot of time to mod his game, but, wants to use mods. So, said user downloads a mod pack, and plays for a few days/weeks/months, and encounters a bug...... the mod pack was updated with the new version of the fixed mod, but, it requires a clean save for it to properly function. Is the user supposed to attempt to load his game with the ENTIRE pack disabled, prior to updating to the new version? Or do you expect the user to follow directions on how to update properly, by only disabling the one mod that is going to be causing issues?

Disabling all of them is most certainly going to trash his game. (especially if there's a bunch of settlement mods in there.....) Expecting users to properly follow directions? That's friggin laughable, as most mod authors are already well aware. Users that install their own mods individually are already notorious deficient in their reading skills. (not all, maybe not even most, but, there are more than you would really like to think, and they WILL be coming back with "your update broke my game!")

Nope. Mod packs are simply a BAD idea. The mechanics of the game, and modding, simply does not support it.

ModPacks:

Ok, so, a user doesn't have a lot of time to mod his game, but, wants to use mods. So, said user downloads a mod pack, and plays for a few days/weeks/months, and encounters a bug...... the mod pack was updated with the new version of the fixed mod, but, it requires a clean save for it to properly function. Is the user supposed to attempt to load his game with the ENTIRE pack disabled, prior to updating to the new version? Or do you expect the user to follow directions on how to update properly, by only disabling the one mod that is going to be causing issues?

Disabling all of them is most certainly going to trash his game. (especially if there's a bunch of settlement mods in there.....) Expecting users to properly follow directions? That's friggin laughable, as most mod authors are already well aware. Users that install their own mods individually are already notorious deficient in their reading skills. (not all, maybe not even most, but, there are more than you would really like to think, and they WILL be coming back with "your update broke my game!")

Nope. Mod packs are simply a BAD idea. The mechanics of the game, and modding, simply does not support it.

Your hypothetical scenario above is predicated on someone (lets call them the curator) putting together a mod pack which contains a bug bad enough to require patching, it requires the modpack being downloaded and used by someone who presents the combined attributes of not understanding about having to clean save files, of not understanding the risks of modpacks, of blaming the wrong person. Essentially the two individuals who you use as the example represent the worst least involved modders out there, at which point if they've broken their game it wont matter (to them) whether they got the mods from a pack or from someone recommending a list of mods because in either case they will b&@*$ and moan and not take responsibility. ipso facto: whether a modpack was involved at all will not change the resulting annoyance you predict them raining down on the original/individual mod authors.