Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Showler is the only one operating under the delusion that Nexus will work with mod authors on the new system. The rest of us are well aware that we don't get a voice in this.

I also believe that you are indeed correct. After the deadline, nothing will change. Nexus will proceed along their path, exactly as they have already defined. If you upload here, you are essentially handing ownership of your mod to Nexus.

It's not a delusion at all as we are literally working with mod authors on the new system as part of the internal testing going on right now (which is also referenced in the news post even). As we're making progress, we'll be adding more mod authors to the testing group and their input is and will be shaping the collections feature.

We do not claim ownership of any mods you upload to our site. Anything alluding to the contrary is completely false. Please stop making such claims or we'll have to moderate against it.

i don't know who of the mod authors you picked for testing and for discussion leading to the enforcement of the cut of mod authors rights and edit functions. but it seems that that something went wrong in this process. and why do so many mod authors have the same strange feeling ? coincidence or just a bad or strange choice within the nexusmods test team?

mod authors who sacrifice their basic rights and editing functions for nothing but the new feature mod collections ? i can not believe this and without any background it sounds like a joke or someone severely underestimated the task of speaking for all mod authors.

ignoring this obvious shortcoming is one way to handle the situation. some reflection of what went wrong in the decision process would be also a valid option nobody seems to take into account so far - probably it was never handled as an option at all.

if i read the "vision" the "ignorance" of "some (?) mod authors valid reserve" seem to me not a coincidence but well taken into account and planned while offering the vision to public. so anybody make his own picture what happened here. my only questions: who thought that ignorance can be a valid solution of the problem and even be a good idea? and who thought that this could ever be acceptable for a mod author who is capable to foresee the consequences for his work and his ownership (value lowered to zero by new tos and cut of basic functions) regarding his mods ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showler is the only one operating under the delusion that Nexus will work with mod authors on the new system. The rest of us are well aware that we don't get a voice in this.

I also believe that you are indeed correct. After the deadline, nothing will change. Nexus will proceed along their path, exactly as they have already defined. If you upload here, you are essentially handing ownership of your mod to Nexus.

It's not a delusion at all as we are literally working with mod authors on the new system as part of the internal testing going on right now (which is also referenced in the news post even). As we're making progress, we'll be adding more mod authors to the testing group and their input is and will be shaping the collections feature.

We do not claim ownership of any mods you upload to our site. Anything alluding to the contrary is completely false. Please stop making such claims or we'll have to moderate against it.

I suggest you guys talk to your lawyer(s) or something, because your ToS is contradicting itself. One sentence says you don't claim ownership, the other says you have infinite rights over user content and do what you want with it (aka, claim ownership).

If this doesn't apply to mods, you should say so clearly.

Um... It would be most interesting to hear what You / Nexus Mods believe the definition of and rights of ownership are, would you be kind enough to elaborate? Also what exactly does your new TOS leave that the Mod Author has any control over once the file is uploaded to your site?
"By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion."
The TOS literally states anything anyone uploads to your site you are free to change in any way you want and then redistribute the newly changed item however you see fit, among many other things it allows for. So when you guys go editing/changing people's mods would distribute that as a Nexus made mod or credit the original author somehow WHILE pointing out that Nexus mucked with their mod?? Sure seems like you are taking ownership of any file being uploaded from now on.
Legit not trying to be a jerk and would love to understand the thought process. Maybe explaining to MA's what rights they will still retain after uploading instead of telling them what they wont have might help to put some concerns at ease?

Maybe that line in the ToS applies to site wide submitted content, including comments, forum posts, videos, images, etc. (for example the word perform is used which pertains to content like videos.) It's not exactly uncommon for a ToS to group all user submitted content into one line like that.

With that said, I do think they should have a seperate section for mod files specifically. Just to be more clear. I am just saying, I highly doubt that line is specifically toward mods, and is more of a generic ... cover all your bases, kind of line.

Edit: And I think the edit portion is more for moderation of comments and forum posts. Things like that.

I suggest you guys talk to your lawyer(s) or something, because your ToS is contradicting itself. One sentence says you don't claim ownership, the other says you have infinite rights over mods and do what you want with them (aka, claim ownership). You can't have your cake and eat it, just saying.

That's what confuses me the most as well.

Like - what now - so we can still demand individually to delete mods, have full ownership...or we don't. Like....huh?

"and, at the present moment, we’re open to considering deletion requests based on this on a case by case basis."

"That being said, let us be clear about the fact that we’re not going to bring back support for random file deletions, due to the problems they cause."

This is from the notice. This is deftl. saying, that nexus controls what get deleted and what not. I have to request a mod being deleted, and you consider it, if YOU, nexus thinks, there is valid reason. Which means I lost my ownership, because ownership means, I don't need to give any reason, why I am deleting MY files.

If you don't claim ownership nexus, then this point in your notice is not VALID at all. You have absolutly NO say IF my mod gets deleted or not, because as you said now, nexus doesn't claim ownership. So ergo - IF I want a mod to be deleted, you HAVE to delete that mod.

I wan't to highlight "at the present moment" here. Just to clarify, you say here, that you are OPEN considering deletion requests. Which brings to the next point. What now - you claim control over file deletion or not. So when will you make up your mind, if you will claim control over deletion, aka claiming ownership over mods, that aren't yours.

IF you never ever CLAIMED ownership, and if you never ever are GOING to claim ownership, aka CONTROL over mods deletion, then your whole consideration HOW you will handle this is for nothing, as you don't need to make thoughts about that at all. As you are in no position to claim control over mod deletion, as you dont claim ownership.

And here - as we german say, lies the dog burried. Exactly THIS is the issue. EXACTLY this is the reason why reasonable people are like - WAIT A MINUTE!

SO just to clarify - you don't claim ownership - then you don't have any say in mod deletion. POINT! If I wan't a file deleted after 5th August you have to do that, because you don't claim ownership. Case closed.

And that's it now for me. Clearly said here you, nexus don't claim ownership, we aren't allowed to say you claim ownership, because you DON'T, then YOU nexus can't tell anyone on your plattform what gets deleted and what not. Not talking about content that violates copyright of another person, or e.g. child stuff, that you anyway will delete, what you stated in your notice as well. I am talking here about a mod author who wants his mod deleted, no reasons given. Or how you put it "random file deletions".

So - I am agreeing now with nexus here, nexus doesn't claim ownership. Good! Then when I will upload in the near or far future a mod, and I want it deleted, YOU HAVE TO.

mod authors will get to have input into how the system works and mitigating problems for the mod authors is going to be a major topic of discussion, but no one here will care.

Â

You mean like we had input on this part of the system? So we get voice our genuine concerns and then get completely ignored on them or dismissed. We are being asked to trust them, after they shattered our trust.

No, I mean mod authors who stay and participate.

You're naive at best if you think that those who stay could actually trust anything Nexus tells them about how they want things to work. Their "input" will be duly noted and ignored as it apparently always has been.

You're naive at best if you think that those who stay could actually trust anything Nexus tells them about how they want things to work. Their "input" will be duly noted and ignored as it apparently always has been.

Why are you guys so far up your own butt that you think that Nexus will ignore advice from mod authors even when it is beneficial to the Nexus? You think the staff are entirely driven by spite now?

Right. You will have to excuse me if I take anything you say with a grain or three of salt.

My question would be, where were these mod authors when you told them you were going to take away their ability to delete their mods? Or did you carefully screen for folks that wouldn't care?

And no, you don't "Claim" ownership, at least, not outright, but, that is effectively what you have. Upload it here, and here it stays, and you folks can do pretty much whatever you want with it. The original author, (legal owner of the IP) can't delete it. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, chances are REALLY good its a duck.

Edited by HeyYou

Â

Why are you guys so far up your own butt that you think that Nexus will ignore advice from mod authors even when it is beneficial to the Nexus? You think the staff are entirely driven by spite now?

Perhaps what we think Nexus will ignore is any advice that is NOT beneficial to Nexus.

The 'if it is good for Nexus then it has to be good for mod authors' scenario, regardless how many of those mod authors may feel otherwise.