Vortex randomly locking mod in load order

dmont7

I am having an issue where vortex randomly locks a mod in the load order. In the screen cap below the the second mod is locked. Yesterday it was a different mod. I can usually fix it by removing and reinstalling but it will happen again the next time I load vortex. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? I am using version 1.8.3 and currently playing Baldur's gate. I don't similiar behaviour with Skyrim but I control the load order with LOOT.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some mods that Vortex can't control the load order of because of the way the engine loads them and we _have_ to treat those differently.

AstarionBard shouldn't be one of those though, so if that mod is what it says it is there is something else going wrong.

Vortex uses a tool called divine/lslib to identify which kind of mod it is and my suspicion is that running that tool sometimes fails for you which leads to Vortex misidentifying the mod. I've seen a couple of reports of divine failing with various error messages but I couldn't make sense of what might trigger it, whether it's something we're doing wrong or if it's a bug in divine or some third-party tool interfering.

Can you see any error messages in your log mentioning "divine" or "lslib"? Can you try narrowing down what you did when the mod is "locked" incorrectly? Is it truly random or is there a pattern (e.g. "any time I removed a mod, after the next deployment the mod is locked")

• 3 months later...

I had the same issues (currently only modding Baldur's Gate 3), I don't know what determines the mod to be locked when they shouldn't be. Probably happened other times with mods that didn't noticeably get affected by it, but first noticed now with an add-on, AutosortContainers_ReducedWeight -for AutosortContainers parent mod. When loading a save file, got a message saying that it was made with that mod active and if I wanted to load it anyway (I did, and it was as if the add-on was not installed). I did many things to try to fix this, but it seemed like it randomly got fixed one time when the add-on was simply not locked anymore and different mods were locked this time.

I also got the message that my save file had active mods in it that weren't active anymore before, but didn't pay much attention and can't say how many were due to me removing a mod (which I don't usually do) and how many could have been from this bug.

The other mods I noticed being locked after the first mentioned was unlocked, were Galaxy Dice 2.2 (which, indeed, didn't appear on the dice list) and Modular Highlight (which I think still worked for some reason, maybe due to how it's packaged?).

A possible way to "fix" this that I noticed (hopefully) is to keep closing and re-running Vortex so the load order refreshes, but didn't test more, only noticed it got fixed like this once, just now (nothing seems to work if Vortex is not closed and re-run, not purging and redeploying mods, nor refreshing the load order or uninstall and re-installing the mods, nothing changes like that), maybe needing to reinstall LSLib also, but haven't tested that, I only did it repeatedly when trying to fix the issue. Now I got no other mod locked besides Mod Fixer, as usual. But yeah, probably other mods will get locked later again.

Edited by KeviNOlighT

Yeah in my opinion the whole "feature" of locking mods should not be a thing. Or we should be able to at least disable the locking of mod order if we want to.

It's ridiculous, I have to restart Vortex up to 10 times until I can play BG3 because of this.

Yeah in my opinion the whole "feature" of locking mods should not be a thing. Or we should be able to at least disable the locking of mod order if we want to.

It's ridiculous, I have to restart Vortex up to 10 times until I can play BG3 because of this.

LITERALLY SAME! I closed it and waited for a couple of minutes before relaunching and now it's a different mod that's being locked... it's so annoying!!!

I have the exact same issue and have since I started using the manager. It can take me 20 or more tries to get a Load Order that doesn't have at least 1 randomly locked mod. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating!! This should be a HIGH PRIORITY bug. Either stop it from locking all together or give us the option to unlock them manually.