Warnings and Site Ban Theater

19 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

Got a smile out of two apparent ban-system tests:

"Bein' our test account?  That's a paddlin'."

Ever since we selected Paddle as our payment provider I have not been able to stop saying this! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had to shake my head at a recent one:

Account Banned - civ55

civ55 has been banned from Nexus Mods for violating our community rules.

Reason

As you couldn't find the "Delete account" button in your settings you decided to post "[several redacted slurs] website" on the forums.

"henlo I cannot find button to delete my nexus account, I would appreciate a permanant ban. thank"

Redacted by me; see the original ban thread if you really want to know what they were. *smh*  Not sure if I hope it was or wasn't the user's trolling younger relative misusing their already-logged-in account... 

(Speaking of which, always lock your computer when you step away from it, if other people might have access to it.)

2 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

I had to shake my head at a recent one

Yeah, I seen that one and thought it odd. I, however, think that user just became fed up with Nexus for whatever reason and decided to delete the account, couldn't figure it out and resorted to the next best thing -- getting banned by posting the most inflammatory epithets. But I don't know. Without context, it's uncertain. I'm just guessing too.

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes look at that forum, too, just out of curiosity. Some of the reasons for the bans and warnings really are amusing -- as in, it's something utterly dumb, like those oh-so-clever usernames containing racial slurs or other such niceties.

As I read through this thread, I saw some discussion regarding users who tag, quote, or even PM moderators with something action-worthy. Those are my personal favourites, as a moderator myself on a few other forums. Literally sending a mod a notification about one's rule violation is just... beyond understanding. Like, you're asking to get caught.  😄

All in all, the list of obviously inappropriate or even illegal things people think they can post and get away with is staggeringly long. And those "NexusModsWorstSite" type usernames are just plain childish.

PS. I guess many of these champs have very thin skin themselves, and assume others are the same. Which, of course, is not true in many cases, especially when it comes to mods or admins. Someone who deals with rule-breakers on a regular basis is bound to have thick skin, and be beyond the reach of insults and even threats.

Edited by Chadonraz
  • Like 2

True, the moderation thread is mostly amusing. But at times there are some intriguing ones as well, like this next one.

Spoiler

Account Banned - orochinexus

orochinexus has been banned from Nexus Mods for violating our community rules.

Reason

User warned via full-page notification and DM on 18th July regarding suspected account sharing and/or site scraping.
7 day notice period given to adjust behaviour. Current downloads of 128,348 mods over last 30 days, without showing any indication of slowing down.

It begs the question: Did this account holder download any of my mods? And if it did... I say, keep it up! Because I'm creeping up on 1000 unique downloads and I need all the help I can get. 

• Haha 1

Two adjacent ban threads made me smile recently:

Posted Tuesday at 06:53 AM

Account Banned - Mapleleaf001

Posted Tuesday at 06:55 AM

Account Banned - Mapleleaf001

So "nice", they got banned twice? 😜

• Haha 2

Don't know whether it's the bot not working right or what, but even after the title of a post says 'Formal Warning Issued', at the end it almost always says 'This user has now received a total of 0 formal warning(s).' even when it's right there on the page! Sometimes it says that even after more than one formal warning! The total is 1 - look it's right there - one! 😄

Also, it beggars my belief at how stupid some of these people are, using the same name over and over and just changing a number. It's obvious, right? 😄

After being a moderator on here back in the early days, I still enjoy browsing that section. I used to enjoy adding a few little witticisms at the end!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlienSlof said:

Don't know whether it's the bot not working right or what, but even after the title of a post says 'Formal Warning Issued', at the end it almost always says 'This user has now received a total of 0 formal warning(s).' even when it's right there on the page!

It seems the bot is quirky. I've noticed that on just about all the ones I've browsed. Although not about formal warnings, Pickysaurus said the following back on page 5 about the bans sometimes lacking a stated reason, "I have looked into this. It's actually just a quirk of the system. These accounts were spammers these bans aren't meant to even generate a thread."

3 hours ago, AlienSlof said:

Also, it beggars my belief at how stupid some of these people are

Not me, man. I believe it was Bullet Tooth Tony who said, "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

But some are just either immature or angry --both of which sometimes foster stupidity. Like this next user:

Account Banned - NEXUSSUCKSBIGBALLS444

NEXUSSUCKSBIGBALLS444 has been banned from Nexus Mods for violating our community rules.

Reason

Account sharing.
Login credentials shared on a monitored website.

The username clearly expresses some severe discontent. They knew that would never fly. They were just pissed at Nexus. The reasons given are leaning towards the stupid or naive side though, the latter gives the benefit of the doubt.

But how it wasn't deemed an 'Inappropriate Username' as an additional reason is curious.