Vortex keeps purging when I download and install a mod

blesch
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

On 5/6/2024 at 1:08 PM, ZoldFrog said:

When a mod is installed, Vortex adds it to the Staging folder. When you remove a mod from Vortex, deployed or not, it is removing it not only from Vortex but also the Staging folder. If the mod(s) has also been deployed, the remove function is removing it from Vortex, the Staging folder and the game. The cycling indicator displays while it is completing this process, regardless of whether it is being removed from the Staging folder or both the game & Staging folder. 

THe way I use VOrtex, I break the Links between the staging folder and game folder, when I edit an ESP, so I'm assuming that the edited ESP, because of the broken link, will let the edited ESP stay in the DATA folder rather than being purged, because it would be a real pain in the ass to have to re-edit the esp every single time Vortex does something.

Posted (edited)

The plot thickens. I found ESPs from two mods that were *not* being removed from the Skyrim Special Edition/Data folder.

I deleted them - Vortex only yelled at me (giving me a red error message about an invalid plugin) after deleting one of them - but after purging and re-deploying there were no errors.

Then I installed a new mod just now, and vortex took the opportunity to purge...except it looks like it didn't purge at all. There are still a ton of files in there. About 78 gigs worth.

I then manually purged, and the Data folder dropped by about 60 gigs in size.

I JUST installed a mod, and while it was installing Vortex auto-purged AGAIN:

image.png.dd681bae29c3243e58c848beeb635f02.png

You are correct to note that it purged this file because it caused conflicts; however, the purge was initiated BEFORE the mod's installation completed! Is this specific thing a new feature of Vortex introduced in the latest update? Auto-purging after new mod installs? You said I'm the only person experiencing this, so this can't be correct.

Meanwhile, I checked my Skyrim Special Edition/Data folder, and after it auto-purged it did a funny thing. It left a ton of extra files behind:

image.png.dc101293b7559cdf4a01f409c11154bf.png

I then *manually* purged after this, and look what happened:

image.png.f9c37ccb4086fcf9e3405a8237b2f65f.png

It left 100,000+ files behind after the auto-purge. Is this a clue to what is going on?

-edit-

I resolved the conflicts after I published this post, and it auto-purged again:

image.png.11ade37ccbaaf095e547a1a12da8b0e4.png

After this auto-purge, my /Data folder remained around 18 gigs as in the latter screenshot before the edit, above.

Edited by blesch
Adding add'l info, screenshots, corrected an image. Spellchecking.

I finally found the folder where the logs are kept

%appdata%/Vortex

There are 5 log files (vortex.txt, vortexN.txt (where 'N' is a number 1-5). Vortex.txt shows where the mod was being installed at the same time a purge was being initiated (the purge shows up first in the log, but the installation actually happened first).

Something else strange to note is that apparently Vortex is numbering these files in reverse order? I figured this out when I noted the timestamps. vortex5.txt is the oldest, and vortex.txt the newest.

). Vortex.txt shows where the mod was being installed at the same time a purge was being initiated

Based on this, I would say that your AV might be messing with Vortex.  Try allowing Vortex in the AV's settings.

43 minutes ago, Zanderat said:

Based on this, I would say that your AV might be messing with Vortex.  Try allowing Vortex in the AV's settings.

I have two antivirus software (Avira, McAfee) that were installed before I ever downloaded Vortex for the first time. They're not being blocked by my firewall, either.

You also completely ignored my previous post:

image.png.ff7165187151905823b81e380bcd168a.png

image.thumb.png.d70bd466cba8cd2cc3abe94f65c54ba3.png

If you'd like to help, I urge you to go back and actually read *ALL* of what I posted, instead of snipping a particular bit and commenting on *that*. Comment with *the entire post* quoted as a response.

So explain to me how Vortex could just "forget" to purge 100,000 files when it auto-purged, and it didn't get fixed until after I manually purged right after Vortex auto-purged itself. It took two purges in a row for the /Data folder to be clean as it should be.

image.png

I need to know if this will be fixed and/or how to roll back.

Every time I deploy, it wipes my entire mod setup. EVERY TIME. Even if it completes.

I'm a mod creator and I just lost over a months work.

I need to know if this will be fixed because if I have to switch to Mod Organizer, I'll need to get started because switching to an entirely new system will take a long while.

And I can no longer trust Vortex's current version.