Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

I have a problem with installing mods. I install mods manually (as I have problems with Vortex), but when I copy these mods into the Data section of Skyrim they don't appear in the mod checklist. I don't extract the files for most of my mods I put in the folder. I've also noticed that the vast majority of mods I have that do work are ESP files, but most of the new mods are not ESP. I also have a lot of trouble installing CBBE manually. What exactly am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your time and (probably) patience. I have it installed on Steam, if that helps any. (Sorry if you see this as spam. I've typed this on a few posts).

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with installing mods. I install mods manually (as I have problems with Vortex), but when I copy these mods into the Data section of Skyrim they don't appear in the mod checklist. I don't extract the files for most of my mods I put in the folder. I've also noticed that the vast majority of mods I have that do work are ESP files, but most of the new mods are not ESP. I also have a lot of trouble installing CBBE manually. What exactly am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your time and (probably) patience. I have it installed on Steam, if that helps any. (Sorry if you see this as spam. I've typed this on a few posts).

Not using a Mod Manager.... :P

There are a lot of mods that come with a scripted installer that mod managers like Mod Organizer 2 and Vortex can run and walk you through the process of selecting various options. These types of mods are a whole lot harder to install manually. I think CBBE might be one of them.

Each mod manager will take some time getting used to how it functions. But it is time worth taking. Even if you continue to manually install your ESP / BSA mods, a mod manager will come in handy with conflict resolution for your loose files as well as getting the assistance of scripted installers.

Good Morning, just trying to get ideas about the best way to add a quest to my mod.

As my mansion is north of Morthal and has directly to do with "the disappearance of Morthals Elite Unit", i would like to get the quest started directly from the Jarl of Morthal. But i believe this brings some problems, because of course i don't want do edits on default NPCs or the concerning interior cell, and as far as i know the Jarl can change ingame.

My idea now would be to get the quest started by finding a dead courier with a message on his way to Morthals Jarl. But how could i let the quest finish then?

If you have any ideas or know how other mods are handling this please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by JPTR1

This is probably going to get an eye roll from experienced modders. But I have no idea where to start. After endless hours of researching and digging, I never seem to set up mods correctly. I have used MO2 and Vortex, but I might just stick with Vortex since its more user friendly. I don't even know if this is the right forum to ask, but whenever I see tutorials on downloading mods, people always got different drivers, which might be my issue. I only have an OS (C:) drive, and I have no idea how to create another one. All my downloads are so messed up since everything is pretty much on that driver. I keep looking up the basics of modding, but it just seems like everyone is already in the know. Accidentally posted two questions, disregard the last message from me

Edited by lylcollege

Good Morning, just trying to get ideas about the best way to add a quest to my mod.

As my mansion is north of Morthal and has directly to do with "the disappearance of Morthals Elite Unit", i would like to get the quest started directly from the Jarl of Morthal. But i believe this brings some problems, because of course i don't want do edits on default NPCs or the concerning interior cell, and as far as i know the Jarl can change ingame.

My idea now would be to get the quest started by finding a dead courier with a message on his way to Morthals Jarl. But how could i let the quest finish then?

If you have any ideas or know how other mods are handling this please let me know. Thanks!

It would be possible to have the Jarl and / or potential Jarl give / finish the quest. You'd just need to use aliases rather than editing directly.

This is probably going to get an eye roll from experienced modders, but I never learned about the whole modding process. Whenever I look up tutorials on downloading mods, I see people using different drivers. I only have an OS (C:) driver which probably is whats causing issues. Do I need a separate driver for modding? If so, how do I approach this?

This is probably going to get an eye roll from experienced modders, but I never learned about the whole modding process. Whenever I look up tutorials on downloading mods, I see people using different drivers. I only have an OS (C:) driver which probably is whats causing issues. Do I need a separate driver for modding? If so, how do I approach this?

When I was playing and modding Skyrim with a single drive:

Steam was installed outside of Program Files

Skyrim was in its default location under Steam

The mod manager that I was using was installed in its own directory outside of Program Files as well.

Downloaded mods to the mod manager and installed with the mod manager.

Started Skyrim to play with the mods

The process today with a single drive would be the same except that Skyrim would need to be started from MO2 to see the virtual files system. Vortex uses symlinks and so Skyrim should see the virtual file system even without being started through Vortex. Although it is possible to start Skyrim from within Vortex.

[Found it.. Its at all male draugr meshes]

Another day another question. I already changed the eyecolor of my draugrs, but most of them have disturbing pupils which i want to remove. Does anyone know what this is and why some have it and others not? Nothing found at the eyemesh.

h46kl7uk.jpg

Edited by JPTR1

Slightly assuming i'm overusing this topic, but the to do list is endless.

When i place an (player)activation box and the player is facing it ingame, it's always called "Activate". Is there a way to change the showed message to get an "Investigate" or "Take" or "Move"?