Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you delete the files in the data folder, then you are deleting around 20GB of the actual game, that you will have to re-download. (I speak from experience.) I believe that the original post meant to delete the extra folders, not the files as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really remember what NMM was like back in December (I just have bad memory sometimes), but I'm pretty sure this needs to be re-worded. People experienced with Bethesda games and modding will generally know what to do, and since all of the suggestions are pretty standard, it would appear to me this is intended for the modding newbies out there. One thing you always have to consider for them is how you word things.

The title: "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All" is misleading. It sounds like an absolute solution to any CTD they might have, which is just not the case. There are engine and hardware issues that could cause a CTD and none of that was addressed in the original post.

The "step-by-step":

1. Okay.

2. You neglected to mention which tab the user should be in. "Plugins" or "Mods". You do say to click each "mod", but the user may not be paying attention to the tab they are in.

3. The game may have a different path. Instead, direct the user to NMM's folder icon along the top, have them click it and click "Open Game Folder". From there they can open the Data folder.

4. This is the biggest mistake here, where you instruct the user to "delete anything else", which they will take to mean _everything_. When they do that, they'll also be deleting things like the following (some of which I know was released after you posted this):

Fallout4.esm

Fallout4.cdx

Fallout4 - Geometry.csg

DLCRobot.esm

DLCRobot.cdx

DLCRobot - Geometry.csg

DLCworkshop01.esm

DLCworkshop01.cdx

DLCworkshop01 - Geometry.csg

DLCCoast.esm

DLCCoast.cdx

DLCCoast - Geometry.csg

... and a whole bunch of .ba2 files needed by the game.

5-8. These are all pretty standard steps.

So you see what I mean when I say you have to consider how you word things? Don't get me wrong, I know you're just trying to help people by sharing your experience. However, the proof is in the posts.

Also:

-People may not know what FOMM is. As of January, FO4MM has ended support and users are encouraged to use either NMM or Mod Organizer. In regards to load order sorting, LOOT is up and running.

-Nothing wrong with the sleep thing. I just think it's funny how the last time I slept to reset anything was 3 days for shops and corpses in Morrowind.

Anyway, like I said. I'm not trying to get after you or anything. It's just that even helpers need help sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post is a bit old and I got a link here from another forum, but I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on this topic, especially the OP. I had uninstalled all of my mods and was still getting CTD every time I built anything in Sanctuary. I didn't realize I still had residual files left from mods I had tried and didn't like. Still verifying the file integrity, but I think this will solve my problems. It was ticking me off, though, since I have a decent PC. (Intel i7 3.4GHz 16GB DDR3 4TB HDD 1000W PSU Nvidia GTX 970) Again, thank you so much.

Well lets face it. There will probably never ever be a cure-all because there are so many different hardware configurations (welcome to the PC world of gaming) and mod configurations as well as issues with the game itself. Some thing work for some people which is great but then those same things do not work for others. It's just super frustrating for a lot of people and just as frustrating sometimes trying to help those people. But it's about all we as a community can try to do I guess. My story is that before the 1.5 update I would get random crashes and frequent lags/stutters. The CTDs were a pain but the lagging/stuttering was what really drove me crazy. Then the 1.5 update was released and all of a sudden I had no more lags/stutters and no CTDs at all. Not a one for quite a while. And since that update I have never had any lagging/stuttering at all so thankfully that was fixed. Meanwhile lots of people had exactly the complete opposite affect. They went from being real stable to suddenly crashing. So why did I suddenly get stable but those people had issues? FM I guess... Then another update was sent out and I started again to have CTDs. And I started reading that other people started having issues as well. Now I was basically running with the same mods so the only thing I could point to was the update. So I went along with having random CTDs since they were frequent enough for me to live with though they were still frustrating. Then just this week they released yet another update (1.5.4). And wouldn't you know it.... I have not had one CTD since. Not a single one. Again all I have that I can point to right now is that update fixed whatever was causing my issues. But then again that's only me because people are still posting issues with CTDs. As I said it just so frustrating trying to nail down the causes for CTDs. I've just resigned myself that as long as they are infrequent enough and not game breaking then I'll just live with them like we had to with FO3 and FONV. Never played Skyrim so I can't speak to that though I've read that Skyrim had it's issues with CTDs as well.

I rarely get CTDs and when I do, they tend to be at start up. Most often some sort of load order thing. What I am dealing with now, is major lag when I go to any kind of menu, build, trade and even going into console. I saw some things about how if you have alot of items in your inventory this can happen. Sort of my case, although even when I first leave the Vault I still am laggy. It just gets worse as I pick up more things. This all just happened/started friday night (6/24/16)

• 2 months later...

First of all, the OP is selling a load of crap. deleting anything from your data folder is about stupid. Second, installing to Program Files, or Program Files x86, is also not a good idea. Third, always use the script extender for your game that you need. For Fallout 3, it's FOSE, for Skyrim, it's SKSE. For Fallut 4, it's F4SE. Unzip the archive somewhere, copy the folder to your game's folder, and then copy what you need out of it into the game folder and data folder. Fourth, choose your mod manager. There are two leading contenders for Fallout 4. They are Mod Organizer 2.0.7, or Nexus Mod Manager. Fifth, run, in order, the launcher, let it set up, initially, your graphics settings. Then hit play. Go to the main menu. Quit. The run F4SE. Quit from the main menu. This one is for Nvidia users only. After step 5, run geforce Experience, and set your graphics up for the game that way. For ATI/AMD, I don't what you all use, but use it. After that, set up your mod manager, and start downloading mods. I would go with the keyword mods first, then add in the mods you want. I would limit the mods to around 200, just to have a safety net. After a few mods, first sort your order, then run LOOT. After that, test the game. If it runs smoothly up through after getting out of the vault, and in Sanctuary. This is your test save. This is the one you use for when you load in more and more mods. when you get a CTD, or missing mesh, or something, then it might be the last few mods you loaded in. I'd say add 5 mods at a time, at most. This might take time, but it is a good way to check your mods, and track down if there are any CTD's. This is a good method for any game you want to mod, not just Fallout 4.