Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after disabling the mods and checking the "Data" folder, I only see files that look like they're associated with the core game or the DLC (I have all of the DLC).
Would anyone mind taking a look at these screenshots and tell me if something doesn't belong there?
I am not willing to un/re-Install unless it is absolutely necessary.
(I will post a reply to this with a second screenshot as the files are too large)

Actually, several reports say "NVflex.ba2" is supposed to be there... Here's a link to a Steam troubleshooting guide about it (Pre DLC, showing that the "questionable" .ba2 file is supposed to be there as of core content only).

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/412449508281618691/

I think it may actually be an ENB issue. I have been using a few ENB's from day 1 and never updated or looked back once I got them working. I also hadn't thought to look at them since this CTD issue started a few hours ago. They weren't causing issue prior, but I'm thinking one of my new mods might have caused a conflict with an ENB preset. I will post findings in case I figure out what the conflict was and can save someone future bald spots.

Well, unfortunately I am very new to modding, so I couldn't trace my issue. But I DID get the game working.
I simply used the "ENB and ReShade Remover by olbins" and then used LOOT to get a sense of my load order, making minor adjustments (on my own recognizance) based on another Nexus thread.

This is the link to the ENB Removal tool:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5347/?

And This is the Link to the Nexus thread pertaining to load order. I recommend reading it all versus skimming like a lot of eager gamers (even I am guilty of this at times) tend to do:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10844/?

This may not fix everyone's CTD issues, but it sure saved my butt today. I will tinker with the whole ENB thing once I have become more informed and understand the mechanics better.
Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

YOU ARE MY SAVIOR...

The 9 hour process which this took was long, boring but very unnerving - But it was worth it in the end. All thanks to you giving me the confidence to do something this drastic to a game - I mean imagine having half of your obsessive game in the recycling along with a load of other random files that would make retrieving it like trying to find a needle in a hastack (or an optimised graphic in a fallout 4) while you watch the 23.3 gigabytes slowly download, and then hopeful you restart Fallout over and over again waiting for that expected crash - but i doesn't happen.

I HAVE WON THIS BATTLE ONCE AND FOR ALL (that is the battle against crashes)

But seriously I couldn't play fallout 4 without knowing that after 10 seconds on the main menu, my game had a 95% chance to crash - my heartbeat fastening knowing that I may not ever see my savegame again, and the dreaded music that now puts me on edge from waiting for the abrupt stop and my desktop in front of me... then loading fallout with 200 mods (which takes a while) only to find that my game crashes, over and over... and over again.