Crash To Desktop (CTD) Cure-All

BlindLookout

hi. im a thread necro.

on the subject of new vegas, I've had a rock solid build for years that will do hours on end with no crashes, and there is an unholy amount of mods in the game (new vegas folder is 30gb total, though I have a separate folder just for dust stuff).

really just patience and learning which mods are broken and not worth while, and also which mods bork player files if you remove them (facial mod and open freeside are terrible).

once you get it set up, new vegas is a very solid game. but you need stutter remover mods, fallout script extender, the unofficial patch, crasher protector, fallout 4gb.

anyway, just depends on getting the broken mods out to make it work right, and there are a lot of broken and borked mods that conflict with other stuff. once it gets set up, it is a beautiful thing to run though.

same with fallout 4 (which is how i discovered this thread). it almost works perfect, but I have 1 mod out of like 150 that is being a prick.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I updated my nexus mod manage to 0.62.0 today. Since the update fallout4 never fails to CTD after playing a certain time (10 to 15 minutes into the game). Any ideas what issue occured? is it nmm ? because the mods i installed so far never gave me an issue after 143 hours into the game.

I updated my nexus mod manage to 0.62.0 today. Since the update fallout4 never fails to CTD after playing a certain time (10 to 15 minutes into the game). Any ideas what issue occured? is it nmm ? because the mods i installed so far never gave me an issue after 143 hours into the game.

NMM manages your mods, i.e. it allows you to download and install mods through its interface and gives you the opportunity to re-arrange plug-ins at will. For the rest, NMM has nothing to do wih the workings of the game, except when NMM should have installed a mod wrongly. A simple update of NMM shouldn't influence the game's behaviour...

Run the game launcher from where you installed it. If it crashes, then go to steam and verify cache. Once done, do NOT delete anything out of the Data folder at all. Leave everything in there. Then try from the launcher again. again, set up your .ini files, then quit when you reach the main menu in game. You should be up to date with everything after that.

I'm not running any mods, fresh install to a new HDD, cleared all my saves before re-installing, installed ENB gave it 8gb, fixed my ctd issue while trying to get to the main menu, but now none of my saves will load and clicking on the mods option instantly CTDs, loading any save itll try to load for ~15-20 seconds before CTD

I'm not running any mods, fresh install to a new HDD, cleared all my saves before re-installing, installed ENB gave it 8gb, fixed my ctd issue while trying to get to the main menu, but now none of my saves will load and clicking on the mods option instantly CTDs, loading any save itll try to load for ~15-20 seconds before CTD

That your saves don't load is pretty normal when those saves were made with a ton of mods installed which now are no longer present.

Also, when doing a fresh install, make sure that everything from before is deleted, including the Fallout4 folders in Documents\My Games and in X:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Fallout4...

Then start using a mod manager like NMM instead of the game's manager.

Start a new game without any mods, get through the vault 111 bit and make a new save before leaving the vault (when wanting to be able to go back to alter your character's looks) or right after having left. Then, bit by bit, add mods and continue on... and use LOOT to sort the load order...

Edited by JimmyRJump

I havent had mods installed since the fresh install, When i did the fresh install i deleted everything you just mentioned, so there should be no reason the saves wont load. I'm not trying to play through the game with mods as it stands since i haven't beaten the dlc (which is why i decided on a fresh install in the first place)