Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Dark0ne

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty awesome! This site is an amazing place for modders and I've always wanted an auto-updater of sorts for all my Oblivion and NV mods. My only concern is for some of the more complex or dynamic mods, although I guess that's something the mod author will have to specify and tell the Nexus client how to install it.

On another note, I applaud you guys for taking the open-source approach. It's amazing to see such dedication to free and community development and I hope you guys integrate user-made updates to the program.

I'm guessing the Nexus Client will automatically ask you if you want to download a file marked as a requirement, if so it would be best to have a link to said file so you could see what it requires and if you actually want either file. So to have that, instead of some auto-download feature which doesn't ask/tell you it's installing a required file, would be good.

PS: As I said that's a "guess", it's quite likely being experienced authors you've probably got it covered.

@Elrumel - BOSS for Fallout may be what you're after, haven't tried the Fallout one myself but BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) works well in Oblivion.

All depends on the game you're playing I guess.

Edited by Tactical Marksman

reading the comments, spotted one problem in the new system

yes, it'll be rare, but it still exists

what happens when a very popular mod gets uploaded under several slightly different names and each one is a different version

how does the new system track the mod progression

(MMM in oblivion is the case in point - ever try to track down the current version of that -- its a bear - quite a few different versions by different uploaders and different mod naming conventions - and all of them appear to be legit [not pirate uploads])

@Arthmoor - I'm sory to say but Bain is NOT what i'm looking for.

Actualy, according to what you initially asked for, it is, but you've now switched up and are asking for something different :)

Bain only allows me to manually change my mod installers orders.

Yes, and that's a pretty powerful thing.

i want something more practical as i use more than hundreds of mods (also we shouldn't forget that wyre bash can't handle shader mods). Unexperienced modders such as me (even tho i know my way around wrye) always in need of something like 'automatic installation order sorter' or 'installation order sorting guide'... Or, is there any such feature on bain that i still don't know ?

There is currently no automatic sort for mod install order. Such a thing isn't likely to be necessary either. Pretty much every case of overwrites is because mods are sharing a common resource and it wouldn't matter which order they were installed in to begin with. There are obviously a few exceptions, and those all end up near the top of the package order with everything else following after that in whatever order you add them to the folder.

The only thing that remains important is what order the actual ESPs load in. And you're already familiar with BOSS. So you're covered there.

It look likes everyone want a program that, DL, install, do loadorder, do some repair magic that let you run all the mods on the same time and that with only 1 button ??????????????????????????????

Come one guys, you would all be bored in 6 months, where is the fun to install fcom with 1 button.

i would be happy if it keeps me uptodate with my mods, no more surfing to the site to look if there updates for all your mods. that would give me already a lot more time to play the game :)

I can see the advantages for the Fallout community (where people don't use too many mods) and for casual mod users for Oblivion with only a few mods running (we'll see about Skyrim), but I doubt that this tool will be of much use for the bulk of the Oblivion modding community with 100+ load orders. Its been long been known that you simply can't run an install like that with OBMM, and even with the improvements of FOMM, these tools still aren't powerful and flexible enough to handle such a volume of files. I've had my own bad experiences trying to do this before. The only tool that can handle such a large install is Bash, preferably with BAIN in use as well.

My concern is that this tool may well direct newcomers to Oblivion away from Bash, and when they get up that 100+ mod install they are going to run into serious problems which their modding tool simply can't resolve for them. Its also going to lead them to the conclusion that getting a large load order working properly should be quick and easy with all the hard work handled by install scripts. Anyone familiar with getting a large install working will be able to tell you that this is not the case.

While I think this tool will have its uses, particularly for Fallout and probably the Skyrim community, I can't say I can support this tool if it comes into operation on Oblivion. BAIN is and will remain the tool of choice in that community and anything that drives mod users towards the less advanced Mod Manager style installers is only going to cause pain and frustration for many. It would be quite sad if this tool undercuts the years of benefits and advances the Oblivion modding community has received as a result of the success of BAIN.

@prettyfly: Obviously I've doing it all wrong for the last 5 years or so. I have been using OBMM with a load list of up to 200 mods and it has worked fine. I have tried Wrye Bash, (BAIN) and ended going back to the simplicity of OBMM's OMODs. Obviously, I don't install the few mods that absolutely require Wrye Bash as OMODs. I do use Wrye Bash for some functions and actually have a bash patch that works fine with my OBMM list. Both Wrye Bash and OBMM need and both can use BOSS for ordering mods. But Bash does not make changing the load order of a single file simple as OBMM does.

This is not a rant against Wrye Bash. It is a great program, and as I said, I do use it alongside of OBMM - I just use OBMM more often, and most of my mods are installed using OMOD. But some were installed using BAIN, and others by drag and drop. Amazingly enough, they all work together

You are prejudging a new tool on the basis of a 5 year old tool. You expect it to be just like OBMM or FOMM, with all of their perceived faults and none of their actual usefulness. Normally the programmers have learned from previous tools just what is needed and what is useless, and build on what they have learned. :thumbsup:

We'll be doing this in small steps so you shouldn't expect miracles on the first public release. The first release will be an improved OBMM/FOMM with full download manager support, one-click downloads from the site and one-click installs from the client (depending on whether the author has specified requirements, etc., it may be more than one-click, but you get the picture). We'll take on bug reports and feedback, fix it up, and then move on with the functionality from there.

As mentioned it'll be open source so clever and willing people will be able to help us out with adding whatever functionality they think the client needs. If we do get support down this avenue then there's no reason why we wouldn't integrate the code other people write for the client in to the client itself.

Cliché time. It's a community tool, open to everyone in the community, written by people in the community, for people in the community.