Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43211435. #43213045, #43213095, #43213590, #43213755 are all replies on the same post.

Jokerine wrote: Haha, joke's on ya. You'll have to pry NMM 0.47.3 from my cold, dead hands :devil:
TerrorFox1234 wrote: IT's 2016 JOKERINE! Get with the times ;)
Jokerine wrote: Oh, shush it, Mr Red User Title :P
Dark0ne wrote: He won't marry you if you don't update to the latest version.
Jokerine wrote: ...

DARN YOUUUUUU /shakes fist

lol, got you on that one @Jokerine

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing I do not like the NMM that creates a 'virtual installation folder mods', it looks like this: install for Skyrim 50 mods, weighing 12GB, NMM creates additional 12GB unnecessary ballast on my hard, cleanrooms think: if I mods already installed and placed files in Skyrim, what I 12GB redundant copies? ? It is a bad solution, the only thing I noticed, I love NMM :D , REN

I personally don't use mod organizers so I wouldn't be interested in this news article, but there is a feature I'd like to request that could immensely help mod authors, especially for Skyrim.

Would it be possible to implement a "test this mod alone" function that allows players to test a single mod (loaded with its required files only) for bugs and pack their saved game along with any required config files for bug reports ?

Sometimes users don't understand that mod authors are not modding their load orders but rather Skyrim. Yes, some mods such as the USKP or SkyUI can be taken for granted -- "should" in the case of the USKP, but otherwise it's a shame for an author to be wasting their time finding out issues that are not their own responsibility.

Mod organizers have, indirectly and without any intent, contributed to this issue by offering a simple interface that makes installing any mod a breeze, and I believe it's due to this ease of use that we see those huge mod lists in the last years. Perhaps it's time users become aware of the implications of this, and mod organizers would be the perfect way to tell them.

We'll see how this turns out I guess. This makes me very uncomfortable

NMM has never been a particularly stable or powerful mod manager, and has only gotten worse with new features added to ape MO. It is slow, crashes a lot, and just does a worse job than MO at basicallly everything. If MO supported more games, I wouldn't even have NMM installed. If I do have to use an older manager, I use FOMM or OBMM, as they are more functional at this point. I don't mean to harangue anyone, and it is far better than anything I could write, but it simply withers in comparison to the alternatives.

MO, on the other hand, is an amazing piece of software that I couldn't live without anymore, and it will be a shame to see it die. Hopefully this new NMM (NNMM?) will draw far more heavily from MO than old NMM. MO is simply a sleaker, faster, and far more stable piece of software that I actually enjoy using (unlike NMM).

I'll try to remain hopeful, but I have some serious doubts about this decision. It will depend heavily upon the inspiration taken for the final product.

In response to post #43213860.

renthal311 wrote: one thing I do not like the NMM that creates a 'virtual installation folder mods', it looks like this: install for Skyrim 50 mods, weighing 12GB, NMM creates additional 12GB unnecessary ballast on my hard, cleanrooms think: if I mods already installed and placed files in Skyrim, what I 12GB redundant copies? ? It is a bad solution, the only thing I noticed, I love NMM :D , REN

It's not actually taking up twice the space, that is a display error in windows explorer. I hope they stay with this technique of 'virtualization', because it sounded way more robust than MO's (actual) virtualization.

I wish you all the best of luck ... I'm sure everything will be tickerty-boo by the time it's finished.

Robin has obviously made a good decision in getting the best man for the job.

i'm an elderly gamer with low computer skills but was able to make the transition from NMM to MO ... and finally start to understand (a little) about resource priorities etc ....

I've only one tip .... based on this .... from an earlier post ...

"2) What about advanced features of MO, will we be able to include/turn them on in NMM? MO provides a lot of valueable information about mods and their components and I would hate to lose it."

"re 2) That is the plan, yes. My hope is that eventually the new NMM will be able to provide even more details than MO did but likely not in the default setting and probably not in the first public release."

..... oh ... you're setting yourself up for a major sh*tstorm of complaints and howling from the kids if the new NMM resembles the old NMM and not MO on it's first release ... all of it undeserved but that won't matter.

As Freddie Mercury once said .... and summed up this generation

"Fat Bottomed Girls they make the rocking world go round"

Sorry ... wrong quote ...

" I want it all ...I want it all .... and I want it now !!"

So release version 1 but book a weeks holiday at the same time.

Edited by FreezerBird

@Tannin42:

Dude, I can completely relate to the having a job that interferes with life on a grand scale (messing with personal ambitions/projects). You are welcomed by all to the Nexus mods team no doubt! I'm really happy to hear a success story of how someone switched jobs to be able to work on their personal passion/strengths. Strong work!

----------Intelligent ideas:----------

---1---

Disregard backwards compatibility with users current hundred+ mod database; Legacy NMM would provide the functionality needed to maintain those profiles and installation profiles.

***In order to move from bicycles to vehicles, no one was permanently really worried about what that meant for them about using bicycles on the road anymore or how this would affect their commute to work. Eventually the entire world switched to motor-propelled vehicles as we developed.

***This is about forward evolution, not "let's keep the ability to pedal manually while installing a motor in the car."

---2---

[Already Mentioned] Incorporate tools for seperate purposes into modules, instead of the base code

***This would provide specific tools seperate from the mod manager to be run as standalone modules that can be downloaded/enabled as needed. (A Modular Mod Manager?)

---3---

[Already Mentioned] A default start of the simple NMM with the ability/function to switch to the Advanced side of the house similar to a UEFI bios menu in newer computers. Perhaps even look into the way some bios menus look and see if you want to pull any ideas from the way they present options?

---4---

Have a "useful guides" section / FAQ regarding mod load order, helpful tidbits from the modder to the mod-ee, etc. that is curated for quality control?

---5---

Repurpose old NMM as a legacy tool (and depending on the complexity of code used) maybe even create a NEW version designed to remove any Implementations that are experimental in nature, only if easily applicable, to create a dedicated simple NMM 1.0 (keeping previous versions in the archive for those who depend upon their current installations.

---More to come!---

-Full time IT Networking Student with ADD and OCD, LOL!

--Silencer711 :)

Edited by silencer711

In response to post #43212230. #43212635, #43213815 are all replies on the same post.

VictorDragonslayer wrote: Time goes, things change. As a MO user I have several questions:

1) What will happen with NMM UI? Will we be able to make it look similar to MO? I understand that someday I'll have to use NMM instead of MO and I really don't want to get used to absolutely new interface.

2) What about advanced features of MO, will we be able to include/turn them on in NMM? MO provides a lot of valueable information about mods and their components and I would hate to lose it.

3) Are you interested in translators? I've noticed that certain part of Russian-speaking community has troubles with English UI and English tutorials, which often results in mistakes. I can help you with translation and documentation - I have an experience of teaching people how to mod their games properly and maintain small guides about mods in my free time.
Tannin42 wrote: re 1) The UI will be different from both NMM and MO. It will be very themeable but I don't think you will be able to completely change the structure of the interface.

re 2) That is the plan, yes. My hope is that eventually the new NMM will be able to provide even more details than MO did but likely not in the default setting and probably not in the first public release.

re 3) We're developing the new NMM with translation in mind. Again, we haven't made a final decision yet how we're going to get translations in but MO had localizations and I was quite happy with how that worked. I figure there will be another announcement once we cross that bridge.
DontBlnkBadWolf wrote: @Tannin42 What about translating from Queen's English to American English? Any plans for needing someone to do that? LMFAO, just kidding. That was just a joke I made to all my British colleagues on the SLACK boards, I teased them about certain spelled words.

Please don't take this reply seriously, I was making a "call back" on my joke.

The UI will be different from both NMM and MO.

Ok. "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good." © I hope that you won't have to explain your UI :)
My hope is that eventually the new NMM will be able to provide even more details than MO did

That's my hope, too. Good luck with that.
I figure there will be another announcement once we cross that bridge.

Ok, I'm looking forward to it.

Huge thanks for your reply and all your work.