Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43210580.

IceBox wrote: Based on the "complaints" coming up already, wouldn't it be a good idea to simply offer two seperate views like "simple" and "advanced".
Simple covers the basics like turning mods on and off, basic load order etc. like NMM currently does while the advanced view offers things like managing data overrides etc.?

People with a low amount of conflicts can just stick to the simple view and be happy and not worry about which file gets overwritten by what, while more advanced users can fiddle with their overrides etc.

Simple might just look like OBMM/FOMM while advanced looks along the lines of NMM/MO?

Just and idea :D

Basically we plan to build the new mod manager very modular and extensible.
The base application will then be a very simple tool with only the necessary functions. When you need an advanced feature you add the appropriate extensions.
A moddable mod manager basically.
This way you get a smoother learning curve and the UI isn't as cluttered with features you never use.

But that's only the vision, how much of that we can realize remains to be seen.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news. Never used MO and liked NMM to a certain point. Wasn't too keen on using the former because of seemingly in some kind of develoment inertia and the latter was in my opinion lacking in possibilities. So, I'm one of those looking forward to the new software.

If and when it would mean re-installing literally hundreds of mods, well, so be it. Having to go through that is usually just a one-off, so, hey...

Keep the spirits high and don't do anything the insurance policy doesn't cover ;)

In response to post #43210445. #43210615 is also a reply to the same post.

CreeperLava wrote: Fantastic news, a great decision indeed ! Thank you for everything you have been doing for the modding community ! I'm excited to see how the modding scene will evolve with this new tool and all the features, like profiles, you are developing.

I'm curious to see how you plan to give us the ability to mod all the games with one tool. Some games are harder to mod than others, and require specific tools, like the Mass Effect trilogy. How will you tackle these ? By integrating the tools already made for these games, or creating new ones ?
Tannin42 wrote: Ideally we'd prefer to use existing libraries / tools to implement advanced features instead of reinventing the wheel, but this will have to be decided on a case-by-case basis: A tool with a command line interface or a library will be relatively easy to integrate but we can do very little with a pure gui application apart from starting it.

Makes sense, thanks for answering. I suppose you've already thought of it, but I think it would be useful to contact the authors of these tools, so that they can help develop these command line interfaces, if they're absent.

In any case, I wish you luck ! Edited by CreeperLava

In response to post #43210330.

ousnius wrote: Refreshing to hear this. Both NMM and MO have good and bad sides, but I've always felt we need a new one that combines both. I don't want to see hooking of Windows API in running executables anymore, though. :P

Why though, it was the main selling point that you don't touch your data folder, and are able to handle conflicts MUCH better.

In response to post #43210330. #43210880 is also a reply to the same post.

ousnius wrote: Refreshing to hear this. Both NMM and MO have good and bad sides, but I've always felt we need a new one that combines both. I don't want to see hooking of Windows API in running executables anymore, though. :P
krisser143 wrote: Why though, it was the main selling point that you don't touch your data folder, and are able to handle conflicts MUCH better.

It has too many bugs and stability issues, and every little change to a program or Windows can break it. You can still do virtual files, but not that way. Edited by ousnius

In response to post #43210170.

moho25 wrote: Just had to check if it was April 1st.

Wow. This is... surprising.

I'm a pretty diehard MO fan. It does have a significantly steeper learning curve than NMM, yes, but is a much more powerful tool. It's a flat out amazing tool, actually, despite the somewhat dated GUI.

Which is why I fall into the "concerned" camp. People used MO precisely b/c they didn't want to use NMM. B/c they wanted (possibly even needed) the additional features and level of control that MO provided. So, the big concern, of course, is: will those features be retained? Or, in the goal to try to please/appeal to everyone -- advanced and novice users -- will the new tool end up with too many compromises? Ultimately, the question is this: Do the goals Nexus has for NMM redux align with what MO users expect (and were expecting) from MO?

Well... I guess we'll find out.

One goal for the new NMM is to be very extensible so the goals we have don't necessarily have to 100% align with the expectations of every single user.
There just has to be a developer somewhere willing to implement the adjustments.

Hopefully there will be a migration tool that moves your current install of NMM over to the new NMM/MO hybrid.

And yes, NMM definitely became end-of-the-line with the 0.62+ update, as I've lost most of the functionality of NMM, mod version numbers, overwrite warnings, Mod author names, version numbers, installing mods in the DATA folder AND in the Virtual install folder, taking up 2x the HD space etc.

I was hoping for an NMM / MO merger, glad it finally came about