Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

I'm confused- is the open beta nexus mod manager worked on by tannin?

Not the current version up for download, no. The one Tannin42, DuskDweller, and Luco81 are working on right now is still in development and hidden behind closed doors.

We'll most likely get an update on the progress once they have a near-testable version, or whenever they want to post a new announcement about it. Until then, we'll have to sit tight and wait patiently for any news. :smile:

Could one of the team be nudged into chatting about the progress? Recognise that there's a perfectly acceptable middle ground between radio-silence and 'will be released on dd-mm-yy'.

I very much doubt anyone is expecting the later, but I'm equally sure most were expecting _some_ kind of community interaction here.

It's coming up on 4 months since the announcement. And according to the announcement 6 months since Tannin42 came on-board full-time on this project.

People start to get a bit suss when the silence goes on for too long. Also, they start imagining the worst (including, but not limited to "it'll never happen - vapourware", "bet it wont end up being open-source", "must be fighting between the devs, which is why they're not talking, and that always hurts a product", "must be 'design by committee'. Yay /sarcasm.").

^ just being upfront.

I mean, just some insight would be nice :smile:

Like "Soz, we got caught up testing with Special Edition, and then we just kept playing" or "yeah, we're starting from a blank slate, this is going to take a lot longer - here's a napkin scribble of some of our ideas".

If this isn't going to be some kind of closed-source, premium member only product, then I for one don't understand why the community isn't getting a whiff of what's on the go :)

Edited by ozoak

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tannin

Hurry up

Visdagon

P.S. Just kidding

P.P.S Seriously though, hurry up

I havent touched Bethesda games since shortly after the transition was announced (actually I played a bit of vanilla SkyrimSE, just to check it). Though I've been getting the itch to shoot mutants, I would sooner do manual installs of a few light mods rather than have NMM mess it up or MO2 to half work, and then purge the whole thing and restart once your NMM is released. Having to keep a mental list of around 200 mods, their files, and their compatibilities/order to track inevitable errors has burned me out of modding for a while. MO extended the burnout time table considerably. While this break has washed most that away, I still don't really even want to touch mods until the new program is out.

Side note- To any NMM developers that might read this. I have been a harsh critic yes, but I respect that time and effort may have been dumped into something, even if I don't like it, thank you for your work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Pretty shitty customer service to just discontinue support for something that was never even released in full. You're basically the equivalent to all those game developers on Greenlight and Kickstarter that trick everyone into giving them money, only to quit in the end. "Working on a new mod manager", well maybe you should've finished the first one, rather than moving on like some kind of A.D.D. kid off their meds. I mean seriously, the amount of people you burned by saying "End-of-Line, no longer supporting or helping you, go find somebody else", people want their mods, and people who already have mods want to keep them up-to-date and be able to play their games. I'll just go back to installing my mods the old fashioned way.

In response to post #48763382.

StrifeWolfe wrote: Pretty shitty customer service to just discontinue support for something that was never even released in full. You're basically the equivalent to all those game developers on Greenlight and Kickstarter that trick everyone into giving them money, only to quit in the end. "Working on a new mod manager", well maybe you should've finished the first one, rather than moving on like some kind of A.D.D. kid off their meds. I mean seriously, the amount of people you burned by saying "End-of-Line, no longer supporting or helping you, go find somebody else", people want their mods, and people who already have mods want to keep them up-to-date and be able to play their games. I'll just go back to installing my mods the old fashioned way.

What "customers" are they exactly? We released it as open source and for free. You certainly haven't paid for anything in the 3 years you've been here, downloading over 800 mods for free in the process (and only endorsing 8 of those) so why are you getting your knickers in a twist?

The software still runs and works. I'd understand your ridiculously rude over-reaction if we'd shut down the services, removed the download link and prevented anyone's NMM from working. But we didn't. It still works just as it ever did.

So calm yourself. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #48763382. #48763667 is also a reply to the same post.

StrifeWolfe wrote: Pretty shitty customer service to just discontinue support for something that was never even released in full. You're basically the equivalent to all those game developers on Greenlight and Kickstarter that trick everyone into giving them money, only to quit in the end. "Working on a new mod manager", well maybe you should've finished the first one, rather than moving on like some kind of A.D.D. kid off their meds. I mean seriously, the amount of people you burned by saying "End-of-Line, no longer supporting or helping you, go find somebody else", people want their mods, and people who already have mods want to keep them up-to-date and be able to play their games. I'll just go back to installing my mods the old fashioned way.
Dark0ne wrote: What "customers" are they exactly? We released it as open source and for free. You certainly haven't paid for anything in the 3 years you've been here, downloading over 800 mods for free in the process (and only endorsing 8 of those) so why are you getting your knickers in a twist?

The software still runs and works. I'd understand your ridiculously rude over-reaction if we'd shut down the services, removed the download link and prevented anyone's NMM from working. But we didn't. It still works just as it ever did.

So calm yourself.

Maybe you should issue OP a refund. I'm sure he wants back that boot up the arse. Edited by Ethreon

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I wonder when it will be done. To be quite frank, NMM crapped the bed on me quite a few times iif i did heavy modding on it. Mod Organizer was always a go to, but Mod Organizer 2 isn't that good either. So i am using NMM for Fallout 4, Skyrim and Skyrim Remaster lately. I cannot wait for the new version, that will hopefully come out soon.

I am practically new to modding. Matter of fact I've never used MO and I have been using NMM for a couple of months. However, I've read a lot about modding because to be honest, I have started Skyrim SE from scratch like 5 times already because I've screwed up with my mods for lack of understanding. Nevertheless, I would like that this new NMM to be a fully automated program, meaning, that, for those of us that are not that experienced, this new software should do for us what we need : sorting, cleaning and properly load-order our mods. So far, I am using LOOT and SSEdit but to be honest, I've found LOOT to be kind of sloppy.

Recently, I am relying more on what the creator of the mod is saying in his/her description than LOOT and by following their suggestion ( like for example load this mod at the very bottom or so ), is more reliable for me than LOOT.

For the new NMM, I thing that it would be very nice that this program do everything for us but the most important is to have this new tool to properly fix and load-order our mods so we can play smoothly. So far, for example, LOOT is placing Modern Brawl ( bug fixer ) very close to the top in my load order and the creator of this mod, is advising to place it close to the bottom of my load. This is something very confusing for those that are new to modding and that is why I suggest to you guys, to have this new tool, kind of automated and reliable so we can trust 100% that what it does, is the best for our gaming.

Just my 2 cents being a rookie in modding.

Thanks a lot