MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violating copyright is against the law.

Shoplifting is against the law.

Assault & Battery is against the law.

Assault with a deadly weapon is against the law.

Rape is against the law.

What these all have in common is there is a victim. If the victim does not press charges does not change the fact that all of these and other acts are illegal. Not pressing changes does not magically make any of these acts legal.

All those you listed, except the first (unless under pretty specific circumstances) ... would involve the police arresting you, and/or fining you. The victim doesn't have to press charges in order for you to be punished for committing those crimes. Whereas in majority of cases when it comes to copyright, it is typically up to the copyright holder to pursue punishing those who violate their copyright.

Violating copyright is against the law, but how it's upheld is VERY different than those other laws. And in most cases when one violates copyright laws, they are usually sent a cease and desist by the copyright holder first as a formal warning. Do you have any idea how many people would need to be arrested or charged if we actually upheld copyright to its fullest? Anyone who is using an avatar of any character that they didn't get permission to use. Anyone making mods for a game where the game developer didn't explicitly say you could. Anytime someone has drawn their favorite character without the artist saying you could. Anytime you use a meme. I don't think you all realize how much is actually against copyright law when you just view it as black and white like this.

And it's always funny how some creators view these things while they literally go around violating copyright all the time. In their mind it's only bad when it's done to them. Did you get permission from the creator of Tenya the Evil to use your avatar? Or are you admitting here that you are "breaking the law". And I am serious ... go look up the creator and tell me where they give you permission. They don't, but no one is going to bat and eyelash about it because it would be dumb too.

If the copyright holder doesn't come after you for it, it's pretty much safe to assume it's ok, at least within reason ... on things we typically see as being ok ... like using an avatar of a character we do not own.

Plus don't even get me started with how many mod authors use other's copyrighted works they don't own in their own mod. Like taking other game assets and importing them into Skyrim.

I need to have last word...says the person who is supposed to be sleeping....

What? Are you ... kidding? I posted that yesterday XD ... "Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM"

I swear some of you will try and argue about anything lol.

Oh look, the pot is calling the kettle black!

What was the original topic of this thread? It seems to have fallen by the wayside, MANY pages ago.

I am a mod user. I am a mod author. As a mod author, hating mod users would be evidence of me having a mental condition. Since I am reasonably sane at age 74, you can safely assume I do not hate myself or any other mod user. And I am not alone. Being both a mod user and mod author is true for virtually every mod author on Nexus Mods. Consequently, an author does not remove his mods because he hates users. Like me, there are a few users an author may hate, but that list is very short when compared to the thousands of users who download our mods.

I have removed my mods. I find the behavior or Robin Scott and Nexus Mods reprehensible. Robin has taken my Intellectual Property, and he is retaining it against my wishes. A friend of mine summed it up in an editorial comment in PCMagazine:

"The characterization of the anger of authors being simply about their inability to delete their mods is misleading. A good number of authors are angry because the changes to the ToS and Software which allowed Nexus Mods to archive their Intellectual Property were done in secret. Authors were not informed of the changes until they were a fait accompli.

"Robin Scott, the owner of Nexus Mods, claims that he has a contract with mod authors via his ToS, and his business can no longer tolerate authors deleting their content. What Robin does not tell you is that prior to this change, the way mod authors exited their contract with Nexus was by deleting their content. With this change, Robin has trapped mod authors content on his site and effectively taken ownership of the mod authors Intellectual Property. He has offered no easy route out of the contract\ and no course for remediation other than going, hat in hand, to Robin and pleading for his blessing".

I would add that the removal of the ability of authors to delete their Intellectual Property was also implemented in secret. We were not told about this until well after Robin began archiving our Mods.

I would also like to add that the phrase "If you don't like the way things are, take your mods and leave" was heard often in the MA forums. Disgruntled Authors were encouraged to delete their mods and go away. This path to the exit has now been barred to Authors. We can leave, but we cannot take our mods with us.

So, it is not "Us vs Them". It Mod Authors' Rights Vs Robin Scott and Nexus Mods.

as both a mod author (and game developer) and mod user this above is the literal key to the entire discourse. i have been with nexus for a long frelling time (nearly 15 years) and authored mods for multiple games, i even championed nexus as "the ideal modding community with respect for both authors and users". this is something i can no longer do, i did not remove my mods from nexus for personal reasons however i will not be uploading any more mods to the nexus which is a decision i made when they started pushing vortex as better than other managers (this is simply untrue), increased ad placement on pages, and started rumbling about database changes (yea that wasnt a bad omen or anything).

the simple fact is that collections are a decent idea however nexus is implementing it in a horrible way and doing so with only a very very limited amount of actual community input (they even admit they only consulted with a handful of mod authors in announcement post). they literally took the community out of The Modding Community instead of acting like proper leaders in said community.

in the end its pretty obvious that nexus wants total control and if you have any view point that counters or even questions that then they pop off with "well we arent on the same page" while THEY LITERALLY CLOSE THE BOOK ON YOU! this mentality has been proven to be the case by their own admins and the site owner who only pop onto threads now to literally post boilerplate responses instead of ENGAGING THE COMMUNITY TO TRY TO GET ON THE SAME PAGE! Nexus assertions are without a doubt empty and they have absolutely no intention of listening to anyone.

sadly their inability to act like the leaders they want to be (and they used to be) has already caused a large number of FRAMEWORK mods to be removed which literally makes HUNDREDS of other mods no longer function once an update to the main executable or any major changes to mods to add function occurs. frankly Nexus have cut their noses off to spite their face then yelled at everyone who called them out on it.

if anyone wants my mods they will be on Loverslab where the community is far more close knit, far more considerate, and where there are far fewer restrictions and mod authors have total control. (i am also migrating my mods to MEGASYNC, Dropbox, and GDrive clouds so they will always have a home THAT I, THE AUTHOR, CONTROLS.

(side note: its very likely Nexus will have to capitulate and change their approach to collections and databases if they hope to actually remain a part of the modding community. modders had communities before the nexus and we will continue to have a community after the nexus as well.)

JUST TO BRING BACK WHAT IS RELEVANT (page 117) :wink: